Broadband Speed ( Adsl)

My ADSL speed it pretty gash even though I am only 3.5km from the exchange and with BT

BT were solid and robust but I never get more than 0.75 Meg. I then switched to Sky primarily for costs reasons.

After doing this the speed was much the same as I expected.

I started researching how to optimise the speed and found this :-

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html

It REALLY worked for me and my speed tonight shot up to 1.6 Meg which is double what I got before I ripped the wires out

Depends on your set up really but worth I try

Miss the days when I had really fast NTL cable in Glasgow though !

I use this speed test for my findings :- http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Let us know if you try it and have success. I thought it was worth sharing

Cal

Good tip there!

I too have a lousy phone line.. Right at the end of the loop from the exchange.. I.e. my beighbour is on a different exchange.. BT Tests show I "may" be able to get 512kbit ADSL. LOL! I'm getting about 1.5Mbit -> 2.Mbit these days. Did manage to get 3Mbit for a while which was really nice!

Done loads of tweaks including adjusting router setting to override the SNR ratios and stuff, but the two main things that made a difference were buying a decent quality RJ15 extension (My ADSL Router is in teh loft alongside a Server :mad:). That gave me a little increase in speed, but what really made a chunk of difference was plugging spare ADSL filters into the phone sockets in teh house which werent used! Probably has similar effect to you tip above. The unused sockets are still collecting background itnerference but the filter somehow terminates the signal meaning a much cleaner line signal!

Although still get the odd disconnection whcih doesn't last long, but does forece the line to resync, so speeds cahnge regularly :rotfl: