Ever Wondered What 400 Lbft Of Torque Does To A 5 Speed Box?

This is what a forged 2.5 and td05 20g can do to a 5 speed box. This happened in 3rd gear at about 50-60 mph. I'm currently converting the car to a 6 speed box and thought I would dismantle the 5 speeder to assess the damage - 3rd gear is completely gone. It's not just easter eggs that are chocolate!

post-16793-1239638890.jpg

Also a thanks from me.

I'd half been considering a 20G turbo when I finally get round to the next round of power upgrades - this has made my mind up for me after seeing that, can't/won't afford a 6-speed as well. Looks like have to just be happy with a VF34/5 / TD05-16G as a max point !

As for yourself not moving to an even bigger turbo, be rude not to ! ;) .

No problemo - remember it's the torque not the turbo that fooks the gears. I ran my previous engine which was a 2L at approx 340 lbft and it was fine.

No thanks from me! Bringing back horrible visions of my box which went exactly the same way. Luckily replaced under warranty, but still running the same type of box. 6-Speeder is on the list, but its a long way off ;)

No problemo - remember it's the torque not the turbo that fooks the gears. I ran my previous engine which was a 2L at approx 340 lbft and it was fine.

Argh, now see that doesn't help!, I'd made my mind up now you've got me re-thinking perhaps I could go beyond the 340ish mark !!! ;) .

I was told that it is most likely to happen if you're very hard on the car/gears, maybe more so track use, but if I'm honest it does kinda make me nervous so I may air on the side of caution !!??

(not saying at all that you were like that JW, you could've just been unlucky!!)

No thanks from me! Bringing back horrible visions of my box which went exactly the same way. Luckily replaced under warranty, but still running the same type of box. 6-Speeder is on the list, but its a long way off ;)

Sympathies - you might want to turn the wick down on your tune if you're still running a standard 5 speeder.

It's a dubbya rather than an STI - both likely to suffer same fate though. Even the later TY54 boxes have a limited lifespan when the power envelope is pushed.

AFAIK the STi ones are a little stronger and the V6 ty754 are rumoured to be stronger again

Sympathies - you might want to turn the wick down on your tune if you're still running a standard 5 speeder.

Naaa! Still running the 5-speeder, but I protect it on track by short-shifting and using 4th-gear at places I'd normally use 3rd. I also change gear with less aggression as well. It means about 3 seconds per lap slower at KH but its either that, or smash another gearbox.

Thanks for the horror pics ;)

JW

No worries - I was beginning to think I was lucky after getting away with for 6 months. Gives me a good excuse to but a MD321T to compliment the 6 speeder!

Soz to hear about the Box im running PPG on mines and is works a treat good for up to 700bhp i believe, just another option if you dont want to do the 6 speed and the MD321T Turbo the spool is amazing 1 bar boost by 2700 Rpm i get, im upgrading also getting for something a bit bigger, like anything if it brakes upgrade lol... hope you get it sorted.. :thumbup: