New Yellow Toy Arrived Today!

And it's not what you might think.. No fat bannana's here! :

sm11700748611.jpg

Nope not the beemer, but a 2 post Badbury vehicle lift..Nout wrong with it.. Previous owner bought a new one and wanted this one shifted out of the way to the first serious buyer with cash. £300 later And it's sitting on the drive on pallets :D

I think I'm starting to take this DIY mechanicing a bit too seriously...:D.. But after changing a clutch outdoors in the snow the other week. I think I can justify it

Anyone any good at building large garages with deep concrete foundations :(

Edited by ScoUK

I believe that under the rules of the local councils, you are allowed to build a garage up to 24 (6m x 4m sounds good) square meters without planning permission, and up to 30 (7.5 m x 4m) with planning permission but no need for a buiding warrant.

I had planned to build a 7.5m x 4 m at my last house before we moved, as this was an ideal size in to have a ramp and a little workshop space for benches etc.

If you don't want a proper brick built, there are some good quality steel buildings these days.

Once you have a garage like this, you don't really have much need for a good house :(

I believe that under the rules of the local councils, you are allowed to build a garage up to 24 (6m x 4m sounds good) square meters without planning permission, and up to 30 (7.5 m x 4m) with planning permission but no need for a buiding warrant.

I had planned to build a 7.5m x 4 m at my last house before we moved, as this was an ideal size in to have a ramp and a little workshop space for benches etc.

If you don't want a proper brick built, there are some good quality steel buildings these days.

Thanks for the info! DId wonder what the cut off sizes were.. But inital plans are for a Tripple garage with a higher one in the middle.

We already have 2 garage type buildings and a car port type thing all filled with.. well junk and all next to each other.. they were made well over 50 years ago using wood and they are rotten and full of mice, but with concrete floors. IDea is to bin them and basically re-build on the existing site.. Just slightly bigger, mostly depth from front to back... Would have to check but I think the initial sizes we layed out were 40ft wide and about 32ft deep and 17ft at highest peak with a fresh concrete base for it all. Made with somethign more substantial than wood this time.. :(

Gawd knows when we'll get that done probably not any time soon anyway.... But at least there a better incentive now..

Once you have a garage like this, you don't really have much need for a good house :D

LOL! that's what I was thinkin! :D

Edited by ScoUK
Stupid question, is it not a 3 phase motor unit - most garage equipment is?

Not a stupid question at all...

Yep it is 3-phase... but we've got a 3 phase transformer kicking around somewhere. :(

And yep £300 is cheap.. Especially when they were first offered £400 for it arrange to have it picked up and they said £300 :D .. Only 3 years old and it wasn't used as an every day lift.. SO still in very good condition!

Edited by ScoUK
PMSL!!! I love the way that you have that kind of kit Kicking about somewhere! Whats it run on 440v? your transformer kick out the right voltage/current? :D

Yeah.. it's quite bad actually there's all sorts of rubbish lying aroudn here from teh dark ages.. Impossible to find anything...

It is 440v.. If the transformer doesn't work, already been pricing up new ones from the SCrewfix and Machine Mart catalogues.... :thumbup: WIll worry about that when the time comes...

ive got the garage space for it Al,wont even charge you for storage!- may need a new skylight though!

LOL! sadly I think there are plenty of folk with "spare" space

TBH I had considred trying to get a unit in a local industrial estate and kit it out as a work shop and rent it out to local car clubs/enthusiasts, but Insurance for that sort of thing woudl be nasty and it'd be prone to "muppets" coming along and cocking everythign up.. :whistle:

TBH I had considred trying to get a unit in a local industrial estate

A mate of mine has always tried to get me do do something like that, go in halfies for one as we both have multiple cars but not enough space or storage to tinker with them ourselves :icon_salut: