Alloy Wheel Refurb. Wickedwheels

I know its asked all the time, but has anyone had any experience of these companies that carry out wheel refurbishment on site.

I have heard that somey are okay.

Arrive at your location, removed wheels from car, break the bead on the tyre then repair and prepare the wheel for its new coat of paint.

Stick it in their oven for a wee while then once its baked its popped back on the rim and re fitted. No need for balancing as the tyre has not moved on the rim mas the back bead is still stuck to the rim.

Anyway, Im not bothered about the balancing, Im more concerned about the quality of finish.

The current wheels have a polished look with a lacquer over the top. The lacquer has reacted for some reason and its flaking off.

There are some very small kerb marks ( thats the grounds that the warranty wont cover the replacement on!), so not a big job to smooth out any damage.

I just want a good coat of paint and lacquer applied.

Not interested in powder coating as I dont like the finish and it tends to get a bit flaky when the tyres come on and off.

Looked at Wicked wheels and spoke to the local guy. Sold it very well, but he would do as he wants the business.

Just wanted a second opinion before I make the move.

Think hes about £50 a corner.

Cheaper that 2K for a new set!!

Let me know if you have a story

Two sides to the mobile units :

For : Had my wifes 18" TT alloy wheels done by very similar (think they were known as wheel wizard) as they were badly kerbed. From a distance the finished article looked good but up close & being picky about it it just didn't quite look like the high standard finish I thought I was going to get, basically just looked spray painted which I guess is what they claim to do and I did just want rid of the obvious kerbing. They did however begin to flake a bit about a year after, but I can't say for sure that was because of the refurb ??

Against : My neighbour got his Z4 wheels done by the same person. Wheels were in a bad way but what a rubbish job the guy did. When neighbour pointed this out to the guy he just said it was due to the type of alloy wheel the Z4 has on it...and couldn't really answer why he didn't say so before he began ! After about 6 months the alloys were badly flaking and so he phoned the company back - after about 3 weeks of chasing (such and such on holiday you have to deal with him etc etc!) he finally got someone at their main site in Glasgow who said we'll take a look at it but you'll have to bring the car in and leave it. Now they came out to do the refurb but wouldn't come back out to correct or look at the complaint. He used the mobile service cause he can't do without the car day-to-day !

Just my experiences. Gather loads of questions and fire then at the guy that you have in mind.

For me, if there is a next time, I think I'd maybe head the way of powdercoating though.

Edited by C_WRX