Help With Pad Fitting

Ok, was fitting new front pads to my Brembos, the first side was fine, no worries but I have hit a bit of a snag with the other. As you can see from the image, the top right-hand side piston has come all the way out and I can't get it back in again. The lower right-hand side one won't budge either. The pistons on the left-hand side are both all the way in flush with the caliper. What do I do to sort this? I don't want to force the piston back in in case I break something (already snapped a screwdriver!). So can I just give it yahooo till it goes in, or what?

Thanks! :icon_salut:

post-10295-1214999579.jpg

post-10295-1214999292.jpg

Edited by TheWelsho
Ok, was fitting new front pads to my Brembos, the first side was fine, no worries but I have hit a bit of a snag with the other. As you can see from the image, the top right-hand side piston has come all the way out and I can't get it back in again. The lower right-hand side one won't budge either. The pistons on the left-hand side are both all the way in flush with the caliper. What do I do to sort this? I don't want to force the piston back in in case I break something (already snapped a screwdriver!). So can I just give it yahooo till it goes in, or what?

Thanks! :icon_salut:

post-10295-1214999579.jpg

Open bleed nipple slightly to release some of the pressure and then try and ease them in slowly,i had the same problem last week but had to strip the whole lot down and clean the pistons with a very fine emiry paper and put some copper slip on the pistons before sticking it all back together.

Stevie

Open bleed nipple slightly to release some of the pressure and then try and ease them in slowly,i had the same problem last week but had to strip the whole lot down and clean the pistons with a very fine emiry paper and put some copper slip on the pistons before sticking it all back together.

Stevie

Thanks mate, after Iposted up, I went back down and had another go and I got it. Whew! Nothing is ever straight forward with me except breaking things! :icon_salut:

ah John i do like reading your 'help me fix this' threads :lol:

"calamity john, scottish scoobies' resident guinae pig for servicing and repairs" :huh:

you could pull together all your threads and create a "idiots guide to modding your own scooby yourself" picture manual lol

pleased you got the pads fitted,

respect to you for learning and doing it yourself :icon_salut:

I wouldnt have the patience or the inclination to do it.

whats next on your to-do list?

Looks like the seal has come dislodged may be worth stripping a bit further just to make sure its sitting correctly!

Too late, put it all backtogeher! I managed to get the pistons pushed all the way in and pushed the seal in with my fingers, hopefully it will be ok.

ah John i do like reading your 'help me fix this' threads :angry:

"calamity john, scottish scoobies' resident guinae pig for servicing and repairs" :lol:

you could pull together all your threads and create a "idiots guide to modding your own scooby yourself" picture manual lol

pleased you got the pads fitted,

respect to you for learning and doing it yourself :icon_salut:

I wouldnt have the patience or the inclination to do it.

whats next on your to-do list?

Next is to get a new battery, which wont be until tomorrow now. After that it really needs a wash, its in such a state from the track, then I'll put the last of the stickers on and sunstrip!

I don't mind having ago as it saves some dosh. Might take me longer to get there as I don't have the experience, correct tools or technical know how, but I'm a bright boy and can get there in the end! :huh:

Good job you got it right.

Tip for future is, always stick a small piece of metal/wood that spreads across the pistons while you do the other side. IF you try and force them back when they are that far out, you can sometimes get them trying to go in on an angle and then you score the faces, meaning that they can weep a bit past the seal. Also if they get totally cocked over, (and its not very far on these) the piston will become lodged and wont move at all!! then its a strip down.

When i do mine i have a caliper tool that is handy. if you dont have one, use a piece of metal that fits like the pad does, but comes up a little further, then you can use grips or a 'c' clamp to press the cylinders back in, and this keeps them straight and true

I don't mind having ago as it saves some dosh. Might take me longer to get there as I don't have the experience, correct tools or technical know how, but I'm a bright boy and can get there in the end! :icon_salut:

same as me then :lol: ...glad you got it done , every days a learning day, and iff you can do it yourself its even more rewarding :huh:

Too late, put it all backtogeher! I managed to get the pistons pushed all the way in and pushed the seal in with my fingers, hopefully it will be ok.

Could be my eyes and that picture, but where's the seal on the top right piston?

Thanks John. That last comment concerns me. One thing you have to be sure of is that brakes are okay!! and not "hope they're okay".

ha yeha. Once I get my battery replaced, I'll be able to take it out and give it a test and see how it is. I'll also keep an eye on that rubber seal which popped out of the channel. :icon_salut: