Scooby Lpg Conversion - Diesel Economy

With the current price of fuel and the fact I'm close to spending £400/month on fuel I've been looking at alternative options. Some obvious and some not so. I've been doing a lot of research in to LPG conversions for our Scooby's. I came across a guy who converted his modified Classic himself. I've posted up a Scoobypedia Technical article from his web site here:

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Kno...e/LpgConversion

Looks like the quality of the kits on the market have got much better over the past two years and I'm really swaying that way at the moment. I'm a bit of DIY person and tempted to do the same myself - especially when I break even after just 4-5 months. I especially like where he located the LPG filler - under the rear number plate! I've since caught up with this guy is still really happy with his DIY conversion and would do it again.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else out there has first-hand experience of an LPG Scooby Turbo and let me know how it's going and if they have any words of wisdom in the cold light of day.

-Steve.

i was woundering if you could put lpg on the scooby

I was tempted but i am not sure how the vlaves would take it , the average cost of a good conversion by a company is about £2000 , they say you loose no power but if your engine is highly tuned is it a good idea to mess with it ???? if i could answer the valve question i would probaly do it, i know they do some sort of valve treatment but is that a long term fix

Chris

• 2 months later...
Ive already posted my findings on this, and i wouldnt bother.

Unless you were doing a lot of miles in the scoob then I'd agree... the initial outlay of cash would take a long enough time to claw back to be worth it. I guess if you are keeping the car forever then maybe it's worth it but up here the lpg stations are far enough apart that it'd be a right PITA having to go a particular way to fill up the whole time ('cos once you have lpg you won't ever want to put more than about a fiver of petrol in it again :rolleyes:)

Hi Steve,

Did you manage to progress your LPG converstion?

What was the outcome?

Hal.

I've progressed my researched quite a bit and chosen my installer. I'll soon be requesting a written quote with the installation customations I'm after. The guy has a long waiting list at the moment so it won't actually be getting done for two months :-o If my car sales in the meantime then I'll not be getting it done.

I haven't read emoe's findings, but I would say unless you're a high mileage driver and can not get your investment back within the first 12 months on petrol savings then it's likely not that attractive to people. I've learned that if you find the right installer that has previous experience with your car and uses the right kit then things should be good. I guess I'll be finding out if first hand if what other have said is correct!

-Steve.

Having first hand experience as a dealer. Subaru are backing LPG conversions, especially the 3.0 Tribecca, Outback and 2.5 Legacy... now Subaru use Millbrook engineering who did a customers conversion to a 2.0 normally aspirated forester in 2 weeks and he now swears by it

The power and delivery stay exactly the same as before, the fuel is half the price, you're exempt from the london congestion charge and you'll drop a tax band from £400 - £205 (current)... only down side is you'll average 1 MPG less than what you're currently doing...

p.s - you can't lpg convert a PPP impreza.

Edited by Axson
...p.s - you can't lpg convert a PPP impreza.

Axson, thanks for your feedback. Can you give us any more details on why you can't convert a PPP impreza, as apposed to a standard impreza turbo? Is it the amount of power per LPG injector is too high?

Edited by crispyduck
At a guess its probably due to compression levels and knocking! I'm not sure what the equivalent octane level is for LPG, but at a guess its no more than 97!

The physics are a little different. Octane of LPG is higher than Optimax ;-) but its calorific properties means it burns quicker than petrol.

-Steve.