Exhaust Heat Wrap

i have a 3" turbo back exhaust getting delivered in the next couple of days and in the process of buying headers and up pipe how much of the heat wrap do i need and what size and how does it stay on and also how much of the exhaust do i cover?

cheers guys :unsure:

come on guys checked the search things but was rubbish and searched every thing with exhaust in it

I would buy the heat wrap for the headers, and spend the money on a Turbo Jacket, this is WAY better than trying to wrap it yourslelf.

get the 50m rolls as its cost effective that way,

Oh and try to get copper wound, not the cheap stuff, i promise its better!

Whoops forgot to say get the wide stuff, and over lap by 1/4 dont over do it, youll just waste it!!!

Edited by emoe
cheers so do i just do the downpipe not center section?

The centre section is under the car so it is not giving off heat into your engine bay, not needed. Some people only wrap half the downpipe (turbo side) because the other half is away from the engine bay

Edited by Cullenmin
The centre section is under the car so it is not giving off heat into your engine bay, not needed

ECHO!!

just do the headers, get the turbo jacket on the exhaust part of the turbo and then wrap the downpipe to just under the car. This stops heat transfer up the pipe into the engine bay.

A 50m roll should do all that, but bear in mind the turbo jackets can cost £100 on their own.

look at about £40 for the wrap.

Use stainless steel wrap snaps and hold them on tight.

thats what ive done!!! :unsure:

what width of wrap 2" or 4"

cheers again

the 4" is great, as long as you can get a good tight wrap.

Dont leave air gaps as it will be a waste of time. If you think you may struggle to get in there with 4" use the 2 inch, but bear in mind youll need 3 times more to do the job.

sweet cheers all its getting bought the night.

so rule of thumb is wet it and steel wire to tie on and then leave to dry overnight and then i am ready to fly hell yeah

Wet it yes, steel wire im afraid you may have problems with. Unless you use STAINLESS wire, the moisture and water will rust and rot the wire, then in a few months after than the wrap will start coming off, lots of money wasted.

Either buy the right wrap straps, or get stainless wire.

Hope you get on well.

Once the wrap is on, start your engine and let it idle for a while, it will start steaming but thats normal. IIRC as the heat dry's the wrap, it tightens onto the exhaust more which helps to give you a long lasting hold, as well as some good quality straps/clips to hold it.

hinna got a scooby about brake fluid lol dot fit? :P

Edited by Cullenmin