My03 Wrx - Started Rattling Today :o(

As above - the car has been sitting since last monday, decided to take it out a run today to the MIL in Renfrew. I'd hardly got 2 miles from the house when I started to hear this loud rattle from the front of the car/behind the dash.

Seemed to come and go though, I could hardly hear it when on the new smooth freshly-laid tarmac west of Harthill on the M8 but it was quite loud on some of the older tarmac.

I had a quick look-see when we arrived in Renfrew and couldn't spot anthing obvious loose etc, but I wondered if it might be the turbo heatshield?

It doesn't rattle at idle, it does rattle in all gears though, and didn't seem to rattle at all on the way back until the car had warmed up.

Any other suggestions? Car is running, idling and pulling fine and no other issues or symptoms.

If it is the turbo heatshield, or a cat heatshield or similar is it ok to drive about with it loose? If it falls off on it's own before I can get it in to be looked at does it NEED to be replaced? If so, what kind of £ am I looking at? Xmas and a baby due in less than a fortnight means this is one bill I could have been doing without!

Just be careful its not the turbo Heatshield needing nipped up, as if this drops down it could jam between the steering column and the downpipe, (not much clearance here).The rest of the heat shields shouldnt pose a real safety problem if they become detached.(just an annoying rattle)

I think a lot of people see "rattle" "wrx" and think the obvious... but given the kind of use your car gets, the sound you describe, the age and the care taken over your car, I'd be really surprised if its a death rattle.

I'd be checking the heatshields first off, could be as simple as that. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant

I'm going to see if Charlie @ Ian Grieve can spare a mechanic for half an hour tomorrow or friday just to diagnose the problem - to put my mind at rest (hopefully). If Charlie is struggling i'll see if Duncan at Hypertech can have a wee look, or maybe George or John at Extreme in Whitburn.

Might give you a shout the morra Gus, i'd have a right good look around myself but it's freezing and pee'ing down, and I don't have a garage.

Phoned Charlie @ Grieve's this morning and he said to bring it down - they put it up on the ramp and checked all the exhaust & heatshields - all seemed fine.

The only thing they could see was a spring was missing from the nearside front brake caliper, which might have meant the pad was vibrating about in the caliper. Must say I was a bit doubtful but he ordered me a spring in anyway & i'll get it fitted next week.

BUT

I got home and it wasn't pouring down for a change so I had a bit of a gander under the bunnet myself. I spotted that the foam tube that is round the bonnet stay was in the middle of nowhere, and the stay was rubbing off that air intake thingy on the right-hand side of the engine at the front. So I slid it back along, went for a run and it was still rattling it's heed aff so back to square one.

I then found that the strut brace was moving about in the pink end-holders. Tightened them up and I THINK the vibrating has now gone. I fitted the brace over a year ago and it's a bit weird how it wasn't vibrating one day, didn't use the car for a week then it started vibrating loudly as soon as I used the car again.