Stereo Question

Hi Folks

As we all know, the standard sound system with the Impreza is utter mince to say the least. I'm not into listening to music much, but I do need an improvement on the standard guff. So, do I need to upgrade the head unit, or will some new speakers do the job?

Cheeeeers!

Edited by TheWelsho
As we all know, the standard sound system with the Impreza is utter mince to say the least.

Mince isnt even the start of it, its the worst i have ever heard!! It would be better with some cash off and nothing fitted than the rubbish thats there!!

Anyway, after my rant, i have changed the whole system in my STI, went a bit over the top as well but the results are good. I did however keep the old head unit which is actually a Kenwood unit, and I thought i would try and put the head unit in the Leggy GTB i got and guess what, its sounds fine!! Plus when you see the speakers in the STI you will wonder how Subaru managed to actually buy such cheap speakers, they are just no right.

So unless you want to spend a packet i would upgrade your speakers and i think you will see a huge differance.

Steve

Mince isnt even the start of it, its the worst i have ever heard!! It would be better with some cash off and nothing fitted than the rubbish thats there!!

Anyway, after my rant, i have changed the whole system in my STI, went a bit over the top as well but the results are good. I did however keep the old head unit which is actually a Kenwood unit, and I thought i would try and put the head unit in the Leggy GTB i got and guess what, its sounds fine!! Plus when you see the speakers in the STI you will wonder how Subaru managed to actually buy such cheap speakers, they are just no right.

So unless you want to spend a packet i would upgrade your speakers and i think you will see a huge differance.

Steve

so it's the speakers that are the weak point here.

Hi I have just fitted new head unit a one Din Kenwood KDCW 6537U £120 with all the cables for I-pod and adaptor for Subaru

Plus a one Din pocket from a Forester £19 from Subaru (just right for the I-pod)

I am into sound and my speakers in my 06 are fine for a car

So I would change just the head unit first then if you do not like the sound go for new speakers.

Well I went up to Halfords to buy a head unit and speakers and it turns out I need some kind of facia thing thing to make it fit. Of course, they didn't have that and it takes 5 days to come on special order! So I'm stuck with the crappy sound forever as I can't be a55ed waiting around in other bits, just don't have the patience.

Well I went up to Halfords to buy a head unit and speakers and it turns out I need some kind of facia thing thing to make it fit. Of course, they didn't have that and it takes 5 days to come on special order! So I'm stuck with the crappy sound forever as I can't be a55ed waiting around in other bits, just don't have the patience.

What model of scoob you got as mine never needed any of those crappy halford facia plates.

The speakers are really bad but IMO I would change the HU as well. At the moment I`m running Infinity speakers and an Alpine X001 iDA for my iPod. You have 3 options for the single din pocket from Subaru - the forester pocket (you will have to drill holes in the brackets for this to fit), a 4 x CD holder and the standard pocket (which I think is best - after buying all 3 at some point!). Don`t buy the pocket from Halfrauds John, as it looks bad and you will get the Subaru one for around the same price. If you don`t want to drill holes you will have to but speaker adaptors as the standard speakers are mounted at 3 points (most speakers mount with 4). Also you will no doubt have to get an ISO adaptor to wire your HU up. Hope some of this helps mate. :P

The easy solution to your problem is to visit the for sale section, look at my ad and send me some money :P

If its standard double din just fit a single din forrester pocket available direct from subaru for approx £15 and a single din head unit.

The single din forester pocket was the exact same colour as the surround on my car.

Al

The easy solution to your problem is to visit the for sale section, look at my ad and send me some money :P

If its standard double din just fit a single din forrester pocket available direct from subaru for approx £15 and a single din head unit.

The single din forester pocket was the exact same colour as the surround on my car.

Al

DIN pockets, What?!?!?! I'm totally lost man! So what do I need? A pocket thing, which I assume is the bit that makes the hole smaller for the smaller HU, then I need some decent speakers and that's it? Al, do you have a HU and pocket thing for sale?

Will this fit straight in? Clicky

Edited by TheWelsho

John,

DONT buy from halfrauds!!!!! they are waaaay overpriced, ok for going to see whats there and press the buttons, otherwise steer clear...

Good source of info here: talk audio audio forums... does what it says on the tin...

And a good place to buy from here: car audio direct I belive that this is the same people... but very cheap and I belive good service... I was looking at an (alipine) head unit and it was more that £200 cheaper than halfrauds... it helps to look around...

Oh and Yes, that head unit should drop right in mate! you should probably still need a wiring adaptor though (about £10 tops) :P

And finaly, Your car has whats called a double DIN head unit, that means that its double the height/depth/whatever of a normal "single DIN" unit, if you want to fit a single DIN head unit, then you will be left with a gap either above or below your head unit. What People have been doing mate, is fitting the cubby pocket from a forrester which is the right size mate, I dunno you might have a simelar pocket on your centre console? just a place to put your keys/coins/sweeties...

Hope that explains things a bit for you John....? :o

John,

DONT buy from halfrauds!!!!! they are waaaay overpriced, ok for going to see whats there and press the buttons, otherwise steer clear...

Good source of info here: talk audio audio forums... does what it says on the tin...

And a good place to buy from here: car audio direct I belive that this is the same people... but very cheap and I belive good service... I was looking at an (alipine) head unit and it was more that £200 cheaper than halfrauds... it helps to look around...

Oh and Yes, that head unit should drop right in mate! you should probably still need a wiring adaptor though (about £10 tops) :P

And finaly, Your car has whats called a double DIN head unit, that means that its double the height/depth/whatever of a normal "single DIN" unit, if you want to fit a single DIN head unit, then you will be left with a gap either above or below your head unit. What People have been doing mate, is fitting the cubby pocket from a forrester which is the right size mate, I dunno you might have a simelar pocket on your centre console? just a place to put your keys/coins/sweeties...

Hope that explains things a bit for you John....? :o

Pefectly... thanks. Iwas just using Halfrauds for quickness.

I went against everyone's recommendations and bought from Halfrauds - sorry :D . Convenience more than anything else to be honest. Anyway, fitted the head unit myself along with a Halfrauds pocket. The pocket is cheap and nasty to say the least, but it does the job till I find a better solution. The things is, the speakers are actually OK with the new HU - Go figure! Still looking to upgrade these though.

Can't really get much of a reception on the radio stations, any ideas?

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by TheWelsho
Anyway, fitted the head unit myself along with a Halfrauds pocket. The pocket is cheap and nasty to say the least....

Can't really get much of a reception on the radio stations, any ideas?

Told you about the pocket John, was it the Autoleads one per chance? Is the aerial jack in right mate?

Told you about the pocket John, was it the Autoleads one per chance? Is the aerial jack in right mate?

Hi Colin. Can't mind what the brand was, but it was pure tat! I jsut stuff if with my wallet and phone and it doesn't look too bad. Yeah, ariel in the right place cause I am getting some channels and other come and go. It might not be in right, so I need to pull all that out again! ARGH!