Andy F And Meercat...

I got the car down to the guys at Meercat after booking a day to get a full 3" custom exhaust system fitted to my car.. and turned up bright and early after a wee bit of searching to find the place..... unfortunately I was down on my own so had to hang around all day which I apologised for as I probably got in the way a bit!! Haha.. In a way I'm glad I was there though, watching the system being built was great but the downpipe being built from scratch was amazing to see, the attention to detail, quality of materials and welds are brilliant. I would recommend these guys to anyone that is looking for an exhaust and I didnt grudge the 260-270mile round trip that it required for me to take. It looks exactly how I wanted, it sounds exactly how I wanted and it certainly gives the ability to flow as much as Mr F needed it to when I paid a visit to Port Seton

The week after getting the exhaust fitted in Ayrshire, I had the car mapped by Andy F and I am absolutely blown away by the way the car drives now and how powerful it is.. plus, as a few of you know, my MPG before was truely shocking....... I'm now getting more MPG than before and as a wee indicator to those who have driven a 2.5 STi, now that its been mapped, 5th gear pulls in the same way that 3rd gear used to pull. I also had the 'pops and bangs' turned on, after Andy had a wee nosey around the ECU he found a way to make the 2.5 sound very similar to the 2.0 cars with the over-run feature enabled.... I must say, its absolutely comical how loud they can be and its sometimes really hard to try and keep the revs under 2500rpm when coming down the gearbox for junctions/roundabouts or pulling away from standstill.. but, until I get an ASBO, they're staying. Haha. :)

My spec & results are:

- Green Panel Filter & Dedicated Cold Air Feed (Resonator Removed)

- Walboro 255 lp/h Fuel Pump

- 3" Meercat Snakehead Downpipe (Wrapped) & Custom Exhaust System with 'Prodrive Style' Tailpipe

- Andy Forrest EcuTek Re-map

- 355bhp & 389lb/ft

I'd just like to say thanks to people that have given advice over the past wee while, Andy for the mapping and having the patience to answer my questions and Meercat for building a masterpiece of an exhaust. I'm a very happy camper at the moment, roll on Crail this weekend. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Cheers,

Grant

I got the car down to the guys at Meercat after booking a day to get a full 3" custom exhaust system fitted to my car.. and turned up bright and early after a wee bit of searching to find the place..... unfortunately I was down on my own so had to hang around all day which I apologised for as I probably got in the way a bit!! Haha.. In a way I'm glad I was there though, watching the system being built was great but the downpipe being built from scratch was amazing to see, the attention to detail, quality of materials and welds are brilliant. I would recommend these guys to anyone that is looking for an exhaust and I didnt grudge the 260-270mile round trip that it required for me to take. It looks exactly how I wanted, it sounds exactly how I wanted and it certainly gives the ability to flow as much as Mr F needed it to when I paid a visit to Port Seton

The week after getting the exhaust fitted in Ayrshire, I had the car mapped by Andy F and I am absolutely blown away by the way the car drives now and how powerful it is.. plus, as a few of you know, my MPG before was truely shocking....... I'm now getting more MPG than before and as a wee indicator to those who have driven a 2.5 STi, now that its been mapped, 5th gear pulls in the same way that 3rd gear used to pull. I also had the 'pops and bangs' turned on, after Andy had a wee nosey around the ECU he found a way to make the 2.5 sound very similar to the 2.0 cars with the over-run feature enabled.... I must say, its absolutely comical how loud they can be and its sometimes really hard to try and keep the revs under 2500rpm when coming down the gearbox for junctions/roundabouts or pulling away from standstill.. but, until I get an ASBO, they're staying. Haha. :)

My spec & results are:

- Green Panel Filter & Dedicated Cold Air Feed (Resonator Removed)

- Walboro 255 lp/h Fuel Pump

- 3" Meercat Snakehead Downpipe (Wrapped) & Custom Exhaust System with 'Prodrive Style' Tailpipe

- Andy Forrest EcuTek Re-map

- 355bhp & 389lb/ft

I'd just like to say thanks to people that have given advice over the past wee while, Andy for the mapping and having the patience to answer my questions and Meercat for building a masterpiece of an exhaust. I'm a very happy camper at the moment, roll on Crail this weekend. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Cheers,

Grant

Good figures... would be nice to hear how much better mpg you get out of the modded car compared with the std setup.

It was a pleasure to meet up with you that night and hope you enjoyed your spare ribs....

Good results and you may need to look into a oil catch can as a couple of 2.5 sti owners have recently found out.

Btw,,did you enjoy the scenery under my hood?

Nah, i'm going full on. louder the better, bring on the ASBO

As cool as that sounds I'd bet "full on" would probably start to p*ss you off in time.

I know that the full decat I had on the wagon was superbly loud (think wagons are louder on the inside due to that big empty space behind :angry: ) but on a longer journey it was a bit droning and got quite annoying.

I want the STi now to be a bit louder than it is 'cos it just doesn't sound right as std IMO, but I'd not want something as loud as my wagon was before, despite how much fun it was when you were in the mood.

As and when (or if) I remap mine I'd go for mild pops and bangs at the most (not saying I then wouldn't get addicted and go back to make them full on though :angry:).

Nah, i'm going full on. louder the better, bring on the ASBO

I suppose i am quite lucky tho as my LOUD pops and bangs followed by a 3foot flame are on a switch and that very switch is linked to my Anti Lag...oh boy is it good fun at night seeing the scenery behind lite up in your rear veiw mirror. :angry:

Do yous want to see it as i have a video of it on my phone(N95)?

I suppose i am quite lucky tho as my LOUD pops and bangs followed by a 3foot flame are on a switch and that very switch is linked to my Anti Lag...oh boy is it good fun at night seeing the scenery behind lite up in your rear veiw mirror. :angry:

Does the pope sh** in the woods?

:angry:

Of course we wanna see it.

So how exactly is it setup on your car then, when you flick the switch it goes into "Driving Miss Daisy" silent mode na dflick it again and it's "Mad Max"? or does it just limit the amount of popping and banging a bit?

Oh, and another question... did you need additional hardware to run the anti lag or is it just a software thing within the std ECU?

Thanks for all the comments... and if you're hanging in the balance about getting your car mapped/the pops and bangs/3" system.......... then I'd say to just go for it!! However, the pops and bangs (& flames) on mine (hardcore setting) are WAY too much for a daily driver but as I only use my car on the occasional weekend, its a brilliant laugh and never fails to put a smile on my face, which is what the car is all about for me. :o

IainC, the exhaust on my car is really quiet at cruising speeds and anything under 50% throttle. One the car is opened up then it will let rip really well, which is exactly the description I gave to Meercat before they started the thing!! Obviously, it all goes a bit crazy with the pops and bangs that Andy turned on, but then thats up to yourself whether you go for them or not.

Peter, was brilliant to meet you on my spontaneous arrival to the OSIDC. :P The wee food parcel was just what I needed, set me right up for the trip home.. thankyou!! :D The under-bonnet scenery on The Chinese 500+ was awesome, everything looked factory finished... although its a LONG way from where it was when it rolled off the production line!! When the car was getting the exhaust fitted, I had the TMIC off and cleaned it out to get rid of some oil that was inside.. so a catch can is defo going to be the order of the day. Are you going to be taking a trip up to Crail on Sunday mate, its my weekend off, so I'll be heading up with a few people from this way??

Kev, I'm sure it'll still be me thats chasing you if the roads are angus-based!! ;)

Cheers,

Grant

Great figures and no doubt great noise ! You are a tart sir - I knew you would buckle and start modding soon

Enjoy

Cal

Haha, I forgot to quote this in my initial reply........... you are right, I couldnt resist the temptation to modify, however I am doing it for the increase in mpg Mr Shandero. I'm just trying to learn to accept the additional bhp, lb/ft, pops, bangs and flames as unavoidable side effects. :D:o

Cheers,

Grant

• 4 weeks later...
I suppose i am quite lucky tho as my LOUD pops and bangs followed by a 3foot flame are on a switch and that very switch is linked to my Anti Lag...oh boy is it good fun at night seeing the scenery behind lite up in your rear veiw mirror. :o

Dredging up an old post as I was looking for the link to the Meercat site and came across this again.

Did you ever post up your vid from your phone? If not, fancy doing it now? :P