Forum User In Need Of Advice

Hi Guys,

Bit of a strange thread I know, but needed a bit of advice on this one. Recently ive been thinking of a change of career, at the moment I'm working as a Steward for a popular Glasgow nightclub, trained as an I.T Consultant but its really not where my heart is. I was thinking of going into training as a mechanic as it really was what I wanted to do, but never took the plunge.

Here's my dilemma

Im 22 years old, and apparently every garage in the WORLD wont seem to touch me with a barge pole due to my age. The only other option is going to College, but it could take me easily over 5 years before I set foot in a garage. Does anyone have any idea as to what else I can do, or possibly know anyone who would like more of a "mature" apprentice to work with them. Any help would be much appreciated, as Im at my wits end.

I felt asking a motoring community, possibly someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Stewarty

Can't help you with advice from a mechanics/garage PoV, but what I will say is that at 22yo you still have in excess of 40 years of working life ahead of you, so personally I wouldn't worry about swapping careers at your point of life. It might be harder to get the initial job but once you have the slightest bit of experience you'll be no different from anyone else your age.

I was about a year or two older than you when I shifted from a career I was trained and qualified in, to a career in a job I had little/no experience and absolutely no qualifications for. Was the best move I ever made from both a personal and finacial PoV. Regardless whether the money was better or not it was still the best move I ever made as, IMO, you can't put a price on liking going to your job in the morning compared to waking up and hating every minute of it.

End of the day, as a trained mechanic (esp if you get qualified for MOT's, etc) you can always open your own garage and be your own boss.

Can't help you with advice from a mechanics/garage PoV, but what I will say is that at 22yo you still have in excess of 40 years of working life ahead of you, so personally I wouldn't worry about swapping careers at your point of life. It might be harder to get the initial job but once you have the slightest bit of experience you'll be no different from anyone else your age.

I was about a year or two older than you when I shifted from a career I was trained and qualified in, to a career in a job I had little/no experience and absolutely no qualifications for. Was the best move I ever made from both a personal and finacial PoV. Regardless whether the money was better or not it was still the best move I ever made as, IMO, you can't put a price on liking going to your job in the morning compared to waking up and hating every minute of it.

End of the day, as a trained mechanic (esp if you get qualified for MOT's, etc) you can always open your own garage and be your own boss.

Thanks for that bit of reassurance, I was starting to panic a bit. Felt like I was 22 going on 75 for a while. Ive had a few things on the cards lately, finally got round to applying for my Class C+E licenses so if all else fails I have something to lean back on that pays good money. Guess I'll just need to keep making calls and writing letters.

Thanks again

Stewarty

if it is something you want to do then go back to college, learn the trade then work your way up :D

otherwise you'll regret not going for it and keep wondering "what if"...

22 is not old... I went back to uni when I was 28 as I felt I wasn't getting where I wanted to go without the qualification. Slogged my guts off for 3 years while working full time and now i've got 3 potential job offers as well as my current employer fighting to keep me :D;)