They don't make them like this any more . . .

When I was 'darn sarf' at Goodwood last week , our host took us along to meet one of his neighbours - 'old' Ted .

We got nattering about old bikes and cars over a cuppa and the subject got onto Brooklands - Ted dug out his Brooklands lap certificates and trophys from the '30s [:(]

He showed us his photo albums - Scott , Velocette , Rudge , HRD , Matchless . . . .

we dwelled on Matchless for a moment or three , Then Ted announced "I've still got a Matchless , sort-off ..."

We followed the old fellow out to his garage . . .

"Its not a 2-wheeler !" said Ted as he opened his garage doors "Shes a Morgan 3-wheeler with a Matchless engine - do you want a spin ?"

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

"She'll do more than 80 ,you know ?" 'old' Ted shouted as we roared through the avenue [:D]

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

What an honour it was to meet a character like Ted and what a feeling it was riding in his '30s Morgan .

By the way - Ted is 92 [:o]

Al.

Looks like you made the guy very happy Al, i bet he could have nattered on for a good while longer. The look on his face in the 2nd and 3rd pictures says it all really.

Can't say i've seen anything like it but looks an impressive piece of kit. and minted too.

Did he have any old bikes ?

Seen a lot of this in England.  The treasures in some folks garages is utterly amazing.

The English also have a trend to perfection with motorised equipment.

Why that is I just dont know.

At 92 years of age Ally, Your Ted bloke looked sound as a pound. I hope I look like that when I'm 52 !

Just look at the Rolls Royce behind the Morgan !

Reminds me of a time when I was about 10 years old going into a mates dads garage to find a 1940's Rolls Royce. The story I heard about it was it had done 17 miles in total, and 30 years on , it was given a full tank of fuel and a battery fitted and it started after 20 turns.

Quality. (Abit like me WRX)

Just look at the Rolls Royce behind the Morgan !

The cars in the background are (if I remember correctly) both Triumph 'Super 7' s from the same era (30s) . The one at front is the rare 'pillarless' model.

Both started first push of the button and ran like sewing-machines.

DSCF0011.jpg

Looks like you made the guy very happy Al, i bet he could have nattered on for a good while longer. The look on his face in the 2nd and 3rd pictures says it all really.

Did he have any old bikes ?

We invited Ted over for dinner on the Saturday night and had a right-old natter about old cars and bikes .

He had us laughing when he told us ,

"Never mind your crashhelmets .. Back then they wouldn't let you on the racetrack unless you wore a stiff collar and tie !" [:(]

He says he'd love another bike - HRD/Vincent , Brough or similar but his son (65) won't let him [:D]   - 'Ignore him , just do it' we told him [6][:o]

Al.

Dinnae dinnae say 'smashing' Imy.

No one likes 'Smashing' motors if ye get me drift...  Ps. had a wee lurvly slide aways today in the scoob on the on ramp of the M74 Southbound at Strathy park, made me smile  [:o] with no hint of a 'Smashin'  [Y]