Steam Racket Farce

Heard on the news last night that there are quite a few people having thier crossing to the Island resheduled do to yet more Seacat problems.

I think I may have found the solution

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ADME:B:EF:UK:11

Yep,

Tiddz is due in on saturday but has had sailing altered.

And the Damaged sea cat without radar is apparently in dock behind a derelict boat that can not be moved!!

Timing or what

Might not need the extra 10,000 baps i have ordered for the egg n bacon jobbies then if the punters can not even GET to the island

Ta Ta

Richard

Changed [Y]

Just heard about this this morning, what are they playing at?

I know planes are generally over booked to allow for late comers and non travelers but this is a boat bringing people to the TT, does the Steam Packet honestly think that people wont turn up for thier crossing?

I heard Martin Bullock's guys turned up at Heysham to be told they could not get on and had to go to Liverpool for the 1pm crossing

Steam Packet issues TT apology

THE Steam Packet has issued an apology to 5,000 passengers affected by last minute TT timetable changes.

The changes meant sailings and departure/arrival ports were altered and many unhappy iomtoday readers have contacted us to complain.

Operations director Mark Woodward said: 'We apologise to those passengers affected by the TT timetable changes.

'This year due to the demand for travel we have scheduled to operate more than 360 sailings over the Centenary TT period.

'We don't have unlimited resources, and we strive to maintain fares as low as possible through year-round special offers.

'Our core fleet is geared to meet normal demand levels while providing spare capacity for growth. Centenary TT demand means we must charter additional vessels and use additional port slots.

'The reality is that the company has been actively and exhaustively seeking charter vessels for the Centenary TT for the last two years.

'The company has been successful in forging longer term relationships with other shipping companies to provide some guaranteed additional TT capacity.

'However, the TT period comes at a time when other companies too are also looking to increase their capacity to meet summer demand. As such they are reluctant to release vessels to third parties such as the Steam Packet.

'Physical limits on our port facilities, the suitability of vessels in the international marketplace and differing national safety regulations mean that ships cannot easily be transplanted from one area of operation to another.

'Where vessels are available, operators typically prefer to secure longer term charters. As such they will not commit to the shorter TT period charter, often until just before the event.

'Without these firm guarantees we can only offer provisional vessels and timings for the following year's TT to some of our customers. This is made absolutely clear to customers when we take provisional bookings and deposits. It is explained once again when final payment is due. For precisely these reasons, we have had to alter some of those provisionally booked sailings this year.

'We are aware that the situation is not ideal and would of course prefer to offer a higher degree of certainty to our customers.

'We will continue to investigate all viable options that would allow us to improve the situation in the future.

'In the meantime, our staff are committed to making the Centenary TT a huge success and I would appeal for support from the Island community in ensuring that the event is a success for us all.'

The Steam Packet's fleet for the fortnight will include Ben-my-Chree, Superseacat Two, Emeraude France, P&O Express (for 22 trips), Stena Caledonia for June 2, 3, 4 and June 9, 10, 11 and freight vessels Hoburgen and Moon Dance/River Dance.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Send us your views.

YOUR COMMENTS

By their own admission, the Steampacket has had 2 years to prepare for this event and to put adequate arrangements in place. This is an eleventh hour shambles which reflects badly on the Island and which will bring us much adverse publicity. This is what happens when bean counters and asset strippers take over established companies,

JOHN

The Isle of Man Steam Packet is a laughing stock in the shipping world and something needs to be done by Government to sort them out. Loss of engines, crashing in fog, over pricing, timetable changes. What next? Crashing into an ice berg!! Get rid of the Steam Packet quickly before they bring the Island to it's knees!!!

EDDIE

• 2 weeks later...

its been a bit of a joke lol

getting off is equally as bad, im going home for a long weekend on the 22nd, got told no space left, then got told it was a fortune , its mancatraz lol

got sorted in the end for £170 return with the car, not all that bad really.