need help

As far as I know the cigarette lighter is a switched live and for the clock you will need a permanent live otherwise every time you switch the ignition off the clock will stop. I would imagine that the clock has 3 wires. One will be a permanent live, one a ground and the third an illuminations light.

For the permanent live I'd use the permanent live to the stereo. Put in an in line fuse between the back of the stereo and the clock. There should be a light on the cigarette lighter that turns on with the lights.

There are plenty of ground cables in the stereo, cigarette lighter area for you to get one.

A multimeter or a 12v test light will let you work out which cables to use.

I have no idea which colours of wires out of the back of the clock are which one though. The most common colours are Red for permanent live, Black for ground and Orange for the illuminations; although these colours are mainly for aftermarket accessories and the original wiring loom colours could bear no resemblance.

From memory the wires out the back of my clock were black and black/white stripe. Agree with Dal you'll need a permanent live, probably from the stereo is best. Dal could you refresh my memory, what's the yellow wire normally, is that the switched live?

Yes mate, yellow is switched live.

hi the clock has five wires out of it three of the is what u said but the others no ider

What are the colours?

It is possible that there are two earths in there. One for the clock and one for the light, a permanent live for the clock, an ignition switched live for the light and then a wire that gets connected to the side light live that dims the clock light a little bit when the lights are turned on so as not to be to bright at night. Much like the screen of your stereo.

As for what wire does what it would be pure guess work and it is very easy to fry the clock.

Is there any exposed metal part of the clock? If so you should be able to use a multimeter to check which wire is the ground by seeing which wires have continuity between the exposed metal and the ground wire.

Can you remove the lamp and see which wires that are going into the lamp holder? This might eliminate another couple of wires.

If you want me to I will make a guess at what wire does what but I would advise against it.

From memory the wires out the back of my clock were black and black/white stripe. Agree with Dal you'll need a permanent live, probably from the stereo is best. Dal could you refresh my memory, what's the yellow wire normally, is that the switched live?

I'm gonna totally backtrack on what I said before Darryl. The red is the switched and the yellow is permanent live, not the other way around [:$]