Warning to all Methanol Users

A friend has just informed me that a car running 10% methanol has just suffered from the corrosive effect of this now fairly popular additive.

His car had the injectors that have the little plastic cap on the injector nozzle, phase one and phase two injectors have these OE if my memory serves me correctly. many aftermarket ones such as denso have metal ends and a different spray pattern, however I am talking about the ones with plastic covered spray nozzles.

I am unsure about the more modern ones, im sure someone will post up.

What happened is that over time the methanol has corroded the injector until the plastic end fell off. When the car was started fuel poured into the cylinder hydro locking it.(ie filling it with fuel)

This can be disasterous as you can imagine. I saw a modded sti3 being towed to start it and it hydrolocked due to ill fitting injectors and it wasnt a pretty sight when the engine was opened up.

There is a solution if your injectors are of the plastic type, Lateral Performance can convert them.

I would not disregard this message, and as soon as the snow clears my venoms will be out and inspected.

Fot those of you who dont "abla" injector types, if you look at a set of the phase one 380cc injectors, (grey tops) they have plastic ends.

If you know if the later types are similar on the nozzles ie, Bugeye and newage then please post up.

Callum W

Callum i think the newage cars should be ok as the injectors are made of steel and the outer casing is plastic. This plastic does not come in contact with the methanol.

I have included some pics to give the newage boys a look at wat they have. These are a set of modded injectors but sti pink injectors are the same type.

DSCF0466.jpg

DSCF0465.jpg

All the best

Higgy