GENERAL INFO PLEASE

Likely to be taking a break on the island at the beginning of March - wheres the best area to stop - have approached the tourist board but their brochures etc not out yet so its down to the tinternet but it all looks the same doing it that way hence the request for insider information [:)] The schedules for the car ferries aren't available either yet - don't they like visitors out of season? lol  Thanks guys and gals [:)]

Ha, we cant even book ferries till the brochure comes out in the new year!!

First couple of weeks in January timetables released, but beginning of march probably looking at just heysham,not sure the sea cat can cope with the irish sea that early in the year.

Mount Murray nice place to stay, Hilton is a bit cheaper and also does some cracking deals for you guys to come over here sometimes, but not the other way round!!

Ta Ta

Richard

Ha, we cant even book ferries till the brochure comes out in the new year!!

Richard

Frightened you're all going to escape to the 'other side' [:D]   Thanks anyway for the advise - will wait to see if anyone else offers any advise otherwise its all down to the brochures 

Thanks Nick....have found most of the IOM sites on the net - didn't want specific hotel names etc etc but general advice as to the best area to be based in although Douglas is probably the obvious choice. Although we'll have the car its nice to be able to go out without it and have a few beers hence my thinking that Douglas is perhaps the best base....or is it Ramsey or Port Erin - looks pretty but perhaps a bit small? Its this sort of info that you really can't pick up off the net because each area is waving their own flag "come here, come here...."  We'll probably self-cater.

Douglas is where everything is happening & will be as you would expect from many seaside towns in England, but with less violence. Peel would be an idea if you want more character, although you won't be dissappointed with Douglas. Port Erin is a lovely seaside town, but quite small, also consider Laxey. If you're self-catering, then consider one of the self-catering cottages, however you won't get one in the middle of Douglas, as you're more likely to get an appartment. At the least cottage be a short drive/taxi into town. Remember that the island is small & it really doesn't take long to get anywhere. I think because of the beers in the evening thing, you are probably looking at Douglas for the first visit, but don't discount a cottage if one of you can do the driving. Many of the cottages have stunning views if you're into that stuff. If you can manage B&B instead, you could stay somewhere like the Glen Helen Inn which has a Glen in it's back yard & you only have to navigate the stairs each night. [:D]

Nah, I live in England & I'm selling up & moving to the island. It's just I've already done a lot of research & been over on several trips so I know a little about the island as an outsider. [:)] With any luck I'll be living on the island by March so I'll be looking for my beer! [;)]

would agree with heazille mount murray is probably the best place to stay the phone number for mount murray is (01624) 661111 hope its some help to you

Ghost101, the OP wanted self-catering. [:D]

Now now, don't start arguing over it lol......we'll wait for the brochure and start surfing for accommodation in the areas you've suggested. We'll be in touch again when we're sorted [:P

• 2 years later...
Douglas is where everything is happening & will be as you would expect from many seaside towns in England, but with less violence. Peel would be an idea if you want more character, although you won't be dissappointed with Douglas. Port Erin is a lovely seaside town, but quite small, also consider Laxey. If you're self-catering, then consider one of the self-catering cottages, however you won't get one in the middle of Douglas, as you're more likely to get an appartment. At the least cottage be a short drive/taxi into town. Remember that the island is small & it really doesn't take long to get anywhere. I think because of the beers in the evening thing, you are probably looking at Douglas for the first visit, but don't discount a cottage if one of you can do the driving. Many of the cottages have stunning views if you're into that stuff. If you can manage B&B instead, you could stay somewhere like the Glen Helen Inn which has a Glen in it's back yard & you only have to navigate the stairs each night. [:)]

I know this is a very old thread but we never made it to the Island in 2007 but are aiming to get there this year, probably September time. Assuming the above information still stands, can anyone let us know if there's any holiday letting agents we could contact for self-catering / rental properties - would prefer this to hotel accommodation ;) .

• 1 month later...
I know this is a very old thread but we never made it to the Island in 2007 but are aiming to get there this year, probably September time. Assuming the above information still stands, can anyone let us know if there's any holiday letting agents we could contact for self-catering / rental properties - would prefer this to hotel accommodation :lol: .

You could try a mate of mine Tony & Fiona Barker at Kionslieu farm cottages, Foxdale, 01624801349. The Baltic Inn is about 1/4 mile away plus shop & petrol, right in the centre of the island, I think they have a website if you want to check it out. Good luck, give us a shout if you get over, all the best

Mike