Technical Help/Advice

I've now decided to up-grade from my 2.0sportwagon to a JDM STI WRX MY98WAGON.(Red top engine)

It's been in this country for 3 years with the same owner(SANDY McNAIR anybody know him?)

It's never been remapped for UK fuel, allways run on Optimax and is still restricted (112mph i think)

The only mod it's had is that it's got a stainless exhaust with one of the CATS removed.

Fom a technical point of view is there any thing to worry about, in that it's not been remapped for uk fuel?

Any recommendations and what benefit they would do?

I'm not looking to gain any more power but just want to make sure that the engine is not being damaged.

I've paid my deposit and pick the car up in 2 weeks so there's no going back so try and go easy on any scare stories.

cheers in advance Craig

imports should run on optimax plus booster to get it near the 100+ ron they use in jap land, i suppose being as it's not been de-restricted yet that it hasn't been thrashed at 140 mph everywhere,  but they need the higher octane in them so be wary if it hasn't. if you have the dosh then go for an Apexi unit or simular and get it mapped proffesionly, that will sort that out.(ecu and map is cheaper than engine re-build) you can get the restictor changed easy but i'm not sure if this comes with the uprated ecu if you get one.......someone will inform you i'm sure[:D]

If your my98 runs the mechanical speedo it's a simple job of fitting a convertor between the gearbox and speedo cable. This will convert the speedo to mph and derestrict it at the same time. It is recommended to get a remap but not always needed. My sti2 ran perfectly on optimax alone although i do use booster when tracking the car. This was checked out on the rollers and got a clean bill of health.