Dented roof

As some of may ahve read in an earlier post, I recently had a milk crate fall onto th roof of my car from the 3rd lift of a scaffold that was errected outside of where I live. I finally tracked down that it is the painter who is responsible. He told me he would pay and to get a quote from the garage. I went to the gagage today and the news shocked me (havent even told the painter yet!). The car needs a new roof skin. As the roof is quite flimsy, the garage will not knock out the dent and fill the as they say the vibrations of the car will evetualy crack the filler and they will never get the roof to look right and it will always look a bodge job.. I am now waiting for a written quote to remove front and rear wind screens, remove roof lining an assosiated trim, cut off roof, fit new roof, replace new wind screens (old ones will brake on removal) refit all trim, spray new roof and blend into rear 1/4 panels!!face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Am I just being picky in getting this done or is it about time we started standing up and claiming for all those little things that we try to brush off but just keep niggling at us?

I will post the quote when i get it.

Nathan

Nathan,

you should be able to claim from the tradesmans Public liability insurance...

I think the minimum cover these days is 2million quid, so i reckon that should cover it???

All trades have to have it, whether employed or self employed....check it out

Also, most rally prep places will remove the roof skin to weld the top of a cage etc , so you may want to check with Barretts or someone to check costs

good luck

jon

Cheers guys. I had a new screen fitted shortly after buying the car. It semed to be fitted with a mastic substance that was very sticky and the fitter tried to remove it without breaking it but it just would not come out. The bodyshop is well known locally and I have had lots of bits done here before and they do a top job. I will still get a couple of second opinions though.

Nathan 

Been to four garages now and all have said that the car will need a new roof. Have received one quote in the post, £1883face-icon-small-shocked.gifface-icon-small-shocked.gif. Have spoken to the painter involved and he said he is willing to pay for the repairs, be it cash or off of his public liability insurance.

Nathan

what a load of bollox....... screens dont get broke on removal........ have taken out countless screens both there and in cornwall and never had one brake....give james or dave at first call windscreens a call.....

any roof can be repaired and if panell beat and repaired with polyester filla...

give mike sella at M.A.S. car and comercial a ring...........

ps

Hello all..........back for xmas......

Have spoken to the painter involved and he said he is willing to pay for the repairs, be it cash or off of his public liability insurance.

Go through your insurance. I nearly went down the 'let the 3rd party pay out of their own pocket' route in August.

Suffice to say, he didn't turn up to pay so I coughed up my excess and took my car away. 3rd Party told L&V that he would pay so they gave me my £500 excess back - Yippee.

Lo and behold, on Friday I get a call from L&V asking if I will attend court on their behalf as 3rd Party is not responding to their letters/calls face-icon-small-frown.gif