Speed camera detectors - should i get one???

As a few of you know, i have only had my soobaroo for a week, and i've already got 3 points on my licence (from 6 months ago)

Should i consider purchasing a speed camera detector? I have seen the stories over the last couple of days about them being banned, possibly coming into force next year, but surely a purchase is still a good idea?

If anyone thinks i should purchase a detector, can you give me tips on where to look on the net and your experiences with ones you may own/use.

Ta

Andy

The Bell Euro 550 is a great radarlaser detector. It gets a big thumbs up from me.

Check eBay for purchasing but only buy models that the guys here give good reports about. If you see a cheap detector on eBay I will bet you it's crap face-icon-small-smile.gif

Andy, I have a Road Angel Classic for sale.

It's about 2 years old, in mint condition with original box, manuals and cables, have a look here for details.

This unit has a lifetime subscription so looking for £200.

Also a Bel 990 International rader detector if your interested.

Cheers, Rob.

Here we go.

Radar detectors are illegal to use in Scotland.

But on that note I'd say the Bel 550 or 990 are the ones to get, that and the old garage door opener and your sorted.

But watch out for Vascar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Rob why you selling that stuff, have you something to tell us?????

Martin

I got a snooper 715 at christmas...not impressed at all...so much for it not giving as many false alarms....i bought it specifically for motorway driving and van laser cameras....passed two this week not a peep...however it does peep at every traffic light and every auto door....

wonder if i bought a traffic light detector by mistake......

seriously thinking about changing to road angel....only wanted it to detect one thing so didnt want to spend that much originally but ive learnt my lesson....

face-icon-small-smile.gif

Umm, radar detectors are not illegal in Scotland..... yet.

My understanding was that the ruling against the data communications act was just as relevant to scotland as england.

I'd appreciate further info on why they are illegal in scotland. The police have never bothered me with mine before.....

The ruling, if I recall correctly, was as follows.

Police were prosecuting drivers caught with radar detectors with teh data communications act that states that it is illegal to tap into a data stream that is not intended for you (ie hacking). It was later successfully argued in court that a radar detector does not tap into the data stream, mearly detects its presence therefore was not eligable for prosecution. This was agreed by the judge and since then there has been no prosecutions for radar detector use in England and Scotland.

This is why the proposed Road Safety bill next year will make them illegal by tightening up the law. Unless your saying that new bill doesn't apply to Scotland??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4333671.stm#

I would say yes.

Selling my origin B2 solo due to financial reasons. Just rcently bought it. Heres the ad.......

Origin B2 solo for sale

http://www.origin-b2-gps.co.uk/origin-b2-s...ra-detector.htm

retails at £429.95

Only taken out of the box to do first update. Subscription is transferable. Ends 20/6/05

Bought from authorised retailer so under full warranty.

Selling due to financial reasons.

Best offer over £300 + postage gets it.

I accept paypal, bank transfer or personal cheque.

Anymore questions PM me or email me at coulster1@msn.com

Its now on ebay aswell.

Regards

Scott

In 2001 radar detectors were illegal in scotland, I only say this because I was taken to court by Huntly police and the lawer I got said I was in the wrong because the law in scotland was different to englandshire.

The proculator fiscal gave me a slap on the wrist [admonished] but I now have a police record.

I'm not aware of the law changing since then, but I'm probably out of touch.

Rob I'll take the 990 off your hands if you cant shift it but funds a l

o

w so cant afford your asking price

Cheers

Martin

Radar detectors are illegal, the origin B2 uses gps based system which has the locations of all known cameras held on a database and this is updated via the origin website which is why you require the subscription. The cameras locations are indicated on the origin by the use of sattelites and is therefore technically not illegal.

Hope this makes a bit of sense.

Origin B2 is the one to get... heard great things about it.

but, I have a Bel Euro 550 for sale if your interested... pretty much brand new & only used twice since i bought it (bleeping noise annoys me too much)

Skunk I wont be saying any more on the matter if you dont mind.

Rob, I have the 550 and the rocky mountain rmr430, so not in a real rush but if you cant sell it in the next few weeks I'll be interested.

By the way what are the differences between the 550 and the 990.

Cheers

Martin