teacher scammed

just thought i'd let everyone know the scam discussed approx a fortnight ago on here has just made the front page of our evening

paper,a school teacher from Clarkston was contacted by a buyer from Madrid who offered £4800 for his car.The buyer said he needed

to set up an account with british funds.He then offered to send the maths teacher a cheque for £10,000,if he sent him one back for£5200.The teacher then waited until the buyer's cheque was cleared by the bank before sending off the money-but the cheque bounced.Just goes to show even the more highly educated among us can be taken in.i must admit though i do find it hard to

take in that someone would fall for this scam as it seems so transparent,surely you would look into these things more thuroughly

if you even thought of getting involved in this kind of deal.........CRAZY!

Del

---------------------------------------------------------------

MY 01 WRX No mods as yet ............exhaust coming soon though..........

This happened to my mate also. he never fell for it but decided to cash the cheque anyway. Thing is, the cheques do somehow clear and people then send the fraudster a ligitimate cheque back from their account for the different which will obviously clear. But when the bank realises whats happened (up to 6 weeks) with the fraudulant cheque, they can and will legally take the money back regardless wherether its in the account or not ie will overdraw you if necessary! With the end result poor sod will be out of pocket by however much theyve sent off. These people are not interested in the goods, just easy money.

Interesting Fact - banks can legally bounce a cheque up to 6 weeks after it has cleared!!!

Ryan