Greetings from Czech Republic...

Hello All,

I live in CZ and have a Subaru Legacy 2,0 D Kombi JF1BPDLY38G104783 (07/2008).

I am looking for info on two issues:

1) Would my car benefit from re-mapping?
2) Rattle/raspy noise from engine, particularly when cold but still strange noise when driving even when hot, despite this being a new engine in 2015. (it was replaced by Subaru CZ as a good will gesture as the "big-end" had failed and wasn't replaced under the original recall)

Thanks for any help or guidance you may offer!

Andrew D.

Hi,

1. Remap? - If Subaru re-mapped it after the new engine then I would be tempted to leave it as is. If they didn't and just plonked the new engine in, I would go and get it tweaked to suit the new engine.

2. Engine noise? - Does the rattle/raspy sound stay constant or does it change when accelerating? Does is sound like this?

Hello mate,

Thanks for your reply. It's due for the 15,000 km service following the installation of the new half-engine so I will ask them if they mapped it themselves (Emil Frey, Subaru Dealer in Prague). I was lucky that Subaru CZ are based in the same building and the guy there has been so helpful.

Mine sounds like that engine in the video, it makes other noises too when driving cold and although it improves when hot I am convinced it's just not right. I will try and record it and post the clip.

Andrew D.

• 1 month later...

Update: I took it to my local Subaru garage (Emil Frey - Prague Stodůlky) and they solved it by doing a BG244 treatment to de-carbonise the engine, despite being a new engine only last year the crappy diesel from some gas stations is bad for certain engines such as mine, I have used OMV MAxxMotion ever since and it purs!