Advice sought

Hi all. Please excuse the rudeness of asking for advice before I've even got a Subaru, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I've narrowed my search for a classic Impreza down to 2 cars, both the same price. One is a 1998 and one a 1999. Both turbo wagons. One, the silver one has had an engine rebuild following a cam belt tensioner failure. The advert sounds like the engine should be spot on, but the car doesn't have an MOT. Advert https://www.gumtree.com/p/subaru/subaru-impreza-uk2000-wagon/1150807363. The blue car here https://www.gumtree.com/p/subaru/subaru-impreza-v4-uk2000-wagon/1151459710 does have an MOT and has the front end I like, and is a better colour. BUT, on a video I was sent off it starting from cold, I can hear a knock. I don't know if it's the knock of death, but is it worth taking the chance? I'll try to put a link of the video below. 

Either way, in going to have to travel many hundreds of miles to either put an MOT on the silver car, or to take a chance on the blue.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. 

Video https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208372733381139&id=683241794

A knock is always an expensive fix and you could end plowing ao much money in to it could of been cheaper to have a respray and buy a second bumper in style you like but it all depends on which one grabs you. Sometimes cost and hastle are worth it if its set in tour mind ''i want that one''

Personally i would buy the blue one as you say it has what you want from a subaru impreza and the looks you are after. Plus no better way to know how your motor works than taking it to bits and putting back together.

Ben

That's what I was thinking, esp as I've now heard it running warm and there's no knocking. 

Would it not be more sensible to go for the one with the rebuilt engine though? Big end shells already done, new clutch, lightened flywheel, piston rings, valves, valve seats, all oil seals, transfer case bearing etc.

The rebuild was paid for by the timing belt tensioner bolt manufacturer and was done by a reputable garage, MJ Motorsports. I've spoken to them today and it sounds like a proper mechanical person did the job. It was a full engine strip and build, with the water pump changed, all seals, valves, valve seats and guides, the gearbox transfer bearing, an updated clutch and a lightened flywheel fitted. It's also covered by 14 months warranty. 

Sounds like that rebuild can be trusted.   Should be a sound engine.   

But, also sounds like you like the look of the other one better though - Will you regret not going for the blue one if you went for the silver?   Heart versus head decision coming up.   Your decision.  Good luck and best wishes either way

Edited by ccrien

Cheers,.  Looking at the pics again, there are little details like the silver one has both headlight washer jets still in place.  

No idea what it might cost you to get through an MOT, but not a bad looking car for the money. Watch out in case you need ( to borrow?) a cat to get emissions through an MOT on either car.