Update on the Prodrive

Well,

The car is at LRS in Canterbury, They whipped the engine out today to change the head gasket. On stripping it down, to say the least, it was mullered!

The heads are cavitated due to no antifreeze, the bores are washed, The oil smelt like gear oil :wow: , All the hoses were brittle or broken, Split induction piping, Radiator totally clogged solid, Power steering oil cooler bodged repair. Cooler removed and a rubber tube fitted the the pipes with cable ties!, cracked flywheel :shkd: Totally unvelievable that someone could neglect a motor in such a way :evil:

So, Today, I have a replacement (Used but from a good souce) engine coming . Complete with all inlet manifolds, flywheel, radiator etc. From a car, by coincidence, just a few chassis numbers away from mine!

A new clutch, iridium plugs, cambelt kit, auxiliary belts etc also coming with it. I have my own engine oild additive and engine oil franchise so that's covered!

Gearbox oil being changed as well.

Going over to clean the engine bay out tomorrow!

Here's some pictures

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

TBH I cant believe someone would let a car of this calibre get to this state.

The head gaskets were like tea bags, The engine oil so burnt it smelt like gearbox oil,

The waterways were full up with K-seal type of product.

The radiator fins looked like they were out of a landrover that's been offroading. Totally clogged solid!

My wife found the mobile number for the previous owner. I dont think he had it that long though to be fair.

I have written to the owner before him to see what information, if any, I can get on the car.

To think this car was built in 1997 by prodrive to showcase the WR Sport range for 1998 onwards. They were only building 25 / year then!

Still Julian the mechanic used to be on a main dealers Subaru Rally Team. So it's in good hands. I dont think he started removing the engine until 9am this morning and it was stripped for inspection by 1pm!

He reckons if the engine is here by Thursday as promised it will be running by the weekend!

Then it's straight off to the bodyshop!

Do you have any pics of the car as it was when you got it?

Hi,

There's a couple of pics on here where I said hello.

Visually it still looks good.

Engine was shot as you can see. Also the rear wheelarches and wing lips (where bumper clips) need sorting as well.

All being sorted :icon_salut:

just had a look at your pics and you have no idea how jealous i am! i still have a copy of that issue of performance car, as an 18 year old i used to have dreams about that car :headbang:

good luck with the restoration and if you ever decide to sell make me your first call ;)

and i hope you get 'the big gripper' tag line put on the plates :lol:

just had a look at your pics and you have no idea how jealous i am! i still have a copy of that issue of performance car, as an 18 year old i used to have dreams about that car :headbang:

good luck with the restoration and if you ever decide to sell make me your first call ;)

and i hope you get 'the big gripper' tag line put on the plates :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one who was mesmerised with the car (Oh and the wife of course!)

I'll kepp you apparaised of the work. Engine should be here today.

I then have to find a standard airbox (got a cone filter at the moment).

I've got an original rear prodrive box ready to go on.

Thankfully the rest of the car is pretty well unabused (So it seems).

Full service, I'm being told to put some four pots on (I'm in two minds ref originality)

Suspension overhaul / checkover next.

Bodyshop for rear wing quarters and a couple of light scabs.

I'll make sure you know IF I ever come to sell the car! :thumbup:

:icon_salut:

keep the pics coming, look forward to seeing her restored :)

brakes are a tough call as the original impreza breaks were terrible, 4 pots better but still not great - did the wr's not have alcon calipers fitted? if not was certainly a prodrive provided mod so maybe a way of updating it but keeping true to its roots

any plans to head along to rallyday in august with it??

I think we can now get an idea as to why the engine was in the state it was in!

Radiator

IMG_0004_2.jpg

IMG_0001_2.jpg

The engine bay however, cleaned up quite nicely! :gr8j:

before :wall:

IMG_0003.jpg

After

IMG_0006_2.jpg

IMG_0001_1.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0004_1.jpg

Replacement engine, rad, oil cooler and airbox should arrive tomorrow (weather permitting)

Edited by rayc

:icon_salut:

keep the pics coming, look forward to seeing her restored :)

brakes are a tough call as the original impreza breaks were terrible, 4 pots better but still not great - did the wr's not have alcon calipers fitted? if not was certainly a prodrive provided mod so maybe a way of updating it but keeping true to its roots

any plans to head along to rallyday in august with it??

The early prodrives (97,98 I think) had "special" compound pads to alleviate the brake issue. These will be ordered if not on the car. Four pots came later on I think late 98 - 99 on the production cars. Alcons were much later from what I can see.

Send me a pm with details of rallyday. If possible we'll try and come along. :occasion14:

Its good to hear the car will be in a far better state :) I'm shocked as to how badly someone can let a cars state get without looking after it. It doesnt take much to keep on top of these beasties and if you do it pays dividends.

Cheers,

Col

heres a link to the club page for rallyday - we've a stand at it, think your car would be right at home on there ;)

Hi

Sounds interesting!

Is there any links to previous show reports / location as we would need to sort accomodation etc. Is it a weekend event?

Next installment!!

The engine, Airbox and radiator arrived yesterday (Friday). All looks good apart from the fact the carrier, or someone, managed to partially crush the radiator. So a replacement in en route!

IMG_0002_3.jpg

IMG_0001_3.jpg

IMG_0003_3.jpg

Box of bits ready for fitting!

IMG_0005_3.jpg

Unfortunately the inlet manifold needs removing as the induction pipe to the turbo is missing. I have ordered a new one from Subaru at £154 plus vat! :shkd: Plus new inlet gaskets. They should be here Tuesday all being well!

Replacement Rad should be here mid week also. :jive:

So hopefully by next weekend it should be ready to go to the bodyshop! :gr8j:

More to follow!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well it's been a while!

We now have an RB5 to the collection, The Mcrae now has an engine and will be going to the bodyshop in the new year. Have just bought another reddish blue one which will be a rolling billboard for my oil / oil additive businesses. Again, bit of TLC needed but drives well and has a prodrive ECU.

Anyhow!

The Prodrive has been painted! Had the arches done (New metal) and painted but the difference was so vast I had the whole car done. Believe it or not it had never had any previous paintwork!

prodrivensfpainted_zps1999390c.jpg

prodriveandrb5_zpse686f057.jpg

Just wheels to do next and clean up the interior.

Well pleased!

RB5 goes in for arches in January

Edited by rayc

Hi,

I bought the RB5 in Hereford. It originally came from Kent when new.

All the paintwork is done by a guy in Deal. He will be doing the Arches on the RB5 in the new year.

He did the Prodrive and replaced the rot with new steel.