Glasgow/Strathclyde Santa Cruise 2011

Please note the date for the run has been changed to the 18th December as Robin House can't do the 11th.

As usual Glasgow/Strathclyde will be organsing their Santa Cruise run for 2011.

At the meeting last week the suggestion of possible supporting another good cause was table. As most of you know we normally make our run to Yorkhill Children's Hospital suggestions are Rachel House or Robin House and whether we split monies between Yorkhill and one of these or do alternate years.

Your comments on this would be welcomed.

Peter (FAI17) has kindly offered the use of his newly refurbished restaurant :thumbup: (Kwang Tung in Paisley) once I get a date for the charity run we can sort out another thread for the meal and raffle prizes. Peter has been a great supporter of Santa Cruise ever year and makes a donation from the taking on the night.

Your help and support in making Santa Cruise a continued success for the club would be greatly appreciated as it really does make a difference to the children. :icon_salut:

I think that we should donate to Rachel House or Robin House.

Yorkhill do a fantastic job but I feel they get the lion's share of fundrasing and attention, particularly from large groups (cabbies, bikers etc).

They also have an established Fundraising department and have people employed full time to drum up interest/organise events.

There are so many other, worthwhile children's charities out there and I think we should explore other organisations.

I know that there is a historic link between us and Yorkhill, but I'd be more inclined to get involved if we do something new this year

If its Yorkhill, then I probably won't take part,

I've signed up to do a Fire Walk for Yorkhill next month and am all 'charity fundraising out' for them :wacko:

Imy

There is a link between SIDC and Yorkhill, but maybe nothing wrong with doing something different. Would we be doing a run to both Robin and Rachel House, or just to Robin House as its in Balloch and leaving Rachel House to our east coast counterparts. Think we would need to check with Robin House that a bunch of scoobs rumbling into their grounds would be ok. Im sure it would, but with the nature of the place we would need to find out. Or do we just donate and not do a run specifically to there??

Maybe as its not to far away stick with the Yorkhill run but maybe donate to both places?? Ill support the majority either way. :icon_salut:

Imy, are you walking on glass as well, or just the fire??

Edited by marko72

Hi Robert.

After joining sidc last year I thoroughly enjoyed last years santa cruise to yorkhill knowing it's making a difference to so many kids and meeting new people. I feel Imy's point may be correct about Yorkhill getting "the lion's share of fundrasing" so may be a good idea to try something else but at the same time do you really want to let go the "historic link between us and Yorkhill"? A run to Balloch would be fun! :driving:

Whatever decision is made I'll turn out again for the meal fundraiser and on the day. Is there also a way of attracting more to this event? I don't know if last years santa cruise was a good turn out or not but felt more could have attended it. The bigger the turn out the bigger the funds for pressies. How about a mass turn out from all scooby clubs unless they all do different things?

• 3 weeks later...

Im happy to support yorkhill as my little girl ended up in there 8 weeks after she was born with an adult cold, in adults its just a cold in babies it can be fatal, but i also agree that they get the lions share when it comes to kids fundraising and there are other worth while kiddies charities out there that need support and funds to the same level if not more than yorkhill.

I will quite happily attend whatever the charity. Baz

Ok after a chat at the Glasgow Meet we have decided to support Robin House this year. Just finalising a date for the run down with the Chairty, but all looks good.

I'll get the donation forms posted up once I get all the info, hopefully later today.

Date now confirmed, we are all set for Sunday the 11th December 2011. Meeting point will the ASDA at Govan which will allow any last minute toys and tinsel to be bought. Heading off at about 12 noon so we arrive at Robin House for 1.00pm.

The other reason for choosing Govan is that we are night next to the tunnel, pops and bangs at the ready.

Prize for best decorated car as usual, will see if we can get Robin House to judge the contest.

List of presents is as follows:

Toiletries - great for the young adults (we have more male young adults than female)

Arts and Crafts - great as suit all age groups

Toys - learning toys, board games, soft toys etc great for the siblings as well as affected child

Chocolate - biscuits, tins of chocolates and selection boxes - great for everyone at the house

DVD's and Computer Games - to suit all age groups

I will get a seperate post for cars attending, if we get more than 20 I have to notify the police of the run.

I've attached a link to CHAS for anyone who does not know much about them.

http://www.chas.org.uk/

• 4 weeks later...