help save a series mcrae!

As some of you may know I also have a series mcrae which over the past 2 years have been gradually restoring. I have recently had the engine out the car to tidy it up and also made changing the gearbox and clutch which were buggered an easier job and did the belt and another few jobs while at it.

Anyhow we recently put it all back in and connected up the loom etc and went to start her up to ensure all was well before cramming everthing else back into the bay......

mmmmmmmmmm problem.....

when turning the ignition on all seems well lights on dash few noises from pump that sort of thing and then you go to turn her over and there is nothing.

The car was fitted with 2 aftermarket immobilisers one cobra and something else. We thought that it was a bit of overkill as the previous owner had fitted but have since been removed both and the loom all connected up again properly.

Went to turn her last night after getting a new battery and same again lights wipers dash lights etc all functioning then go to turn her and nothing!!

The car has power, but wont kick over is there a factory immob causing an issue?? checked all the grounds and everything connected back up again as far as we can see, what could be causing the issue??????? gutted as its hold me up getting it back on the road, managed to overcome every other issue the cars thrown at me but stumped with this one hoping its a simple fix that ive missed. Car has the standard 2.0 ej lump.

Any thoughts or a methodical list of must checks???

Cheers John

Aww hope you get it sorted ok :) be good to see it out and about again

mmmmm been under the bonnet again possibly starter solenoid deciding its on permanent holiday. sourced another so we will see. Not a million miles away now!! the finish line is in sight!!!

Afternoon folks need a quick favour from someone.........

I have pictured a starter motor and marked connections 1 and 2.

impstm.jpg

Been out to the car today with a clear head to do some more to it and now this is doing my head in.......Here's the question... for the wiring connections can someone trace or picture where they go for me please. Connection one goes to the positve on the battery and is usually tape'd up with the ground or earth that goes onto the back of the engine. My spade connector for position 2 the small black one has now vanished in the bay and I cant remember where it comes from and either of my mates can either which is really not that handy!!. Does it come through any rubber parts on the bulkhead or where does it trace back too???, unsure if mine has been accidently pulled through or knocked off altogether when engine and box has gone back in again. My origional starter has proved faulty, got a replacement on route but it would help if I could find / trace the wire for connecting to position 2!!! this cars doing my head in today.......thanking you in advance for you time, help and effort,

cheers john

did u suss it out?

Yes thanks mate, spade had come off the cable and the cable had folded itself back up into the "v" shape the way the loom was folding back on itself so was well out of sight......one of those cases where the answer was looking you in the face all the time!! :wacko: still waiting on another starter turning up so will hopefully be celebrating a started motor on friday......fingers crossed :)

No 1 is the main power feed that comes from the positive on the battery, No 2 is a spade terminal that comes from the wiring loom directly behind the starter. It usually has a black plastic cover on it.

Hope this helps

Cheers mate, had to put new spade on it, just waiting on starter now to see if we can get number 61 fired up and running again, happy days!! :) Cheers for your input, John