Overheating

Hi

Today driving home from work my p1 began to overheat so i stopped and checked it. The top radiator hose felt solid as if there was back pressure or a blockage. So i let it cool down and got my mate to bring me some water so i could drain the coolant and fill it up so i could get the car home. I managed to bleed the water through and got the heater warm to. While driving home the heaters were blowing hot and cold and the temperature was sitting about 3/4 up the gauge. When i stopped and let it idle the temperature went down to its normal mark.

Once home I drained the water and removed the thermostat and checked to see if it was working in some boiling water which it was. Fitted it back together and filled with coolant and bleed the system but i couldn't get it to bleed. I noticed that the heater pipe which runs from the back of the engine was roasting where it came from the engine but half way down the pipe towards the heater it was freezing cold, this was happening with the heater in the car set on full heat and at number 4.

I did notice that there was some condensation/ water in the tailpipe of the exhaust. The engine was rebuilt last year before i got the car and looking at the receipt it say's head gaskets (1 mm) were £104, i had andy forrest map the car and it was running great up until this morning. While it was overheating and when i was nursing it back home the oil pressure was the same as it had been since i got the car. There is also no gunk on the oil filler cap and having only changed the thermostat 6 weeks ago the coolant was still slightly pink.

Anyone any ideas? Or is it needing a visit to a garage?

steve