Cold Air Intake

Can anyone recommend a good cold air intake for a newage car. I have heard that if the tube diamters are different it will require a remap.

Cheers

Mike

AEM seem a pretty good bet... albeit I speak from a Hatch perspective, although the make newage kits too.

You're right, though, re: the re-map. To get the most out of your intake, you'll need to adjust fuelling or you risk running a bit lean. This has 2 possible effects:

1 - You start to run lean and the ECU will compensate resulting in a power loss... kinda defeats the point of the intake

2 - You run TOO lean and get a load of knock and run the risk of knackering your pistons... and your engine.

Some CAIs seem to run higher risks than others, depending how free flowing they are... they're NOT unsafe, you just need a re-map to make the most of them. It'd probably be OK on a NA car, but chuck forced induction into the mix and it's a WHOLE different ball game.

AEM seem a pretty good bet... albeit I speak from a Hatch perspective, although the make newage kits too.

You're right, though, re: the re-map. To get the most out of your intake, you'll need to adjust fuelling or you risk running a bit lean. This has 2 possible effects:

1 - You start to run lean and the ECU will compensate resulting in a power loss... kinda defeats the point of the intake

2 - You run TOO lean and get a load of knock and run the risk of knackering your pistons... and your engine.

Some CAIs seem to run higher risks than others, depending how free flowing they are... they're NOT unsafe, you just need a re-map to make the most of them. It'd probably be OK on a NA car, but chuck forced induction into the mix and it's a WHOLE different ball game.

I've an APS 70mm CAI on mine, but it was remapped the very next day... you wouldn't have lived with the car without it being remapped anyway as the idle was lumpy as f*** as the ECU tried to match the air and fuel properly. Would have thought that the smaller version of the APS CAI might have been okay without the remap as housing was the same size as OEM, so it should have been able to measure the air flow properly (accurately). Worth getting the remap anyway though as it makes a HUGE difference to the way the car drives. It's not just about the peak figure being a touch higher, it's the fact that the power is available further down the rev range, etc.