Need Some Help On Suspension Query...

Got an Anti Lift Kit (Whiteline I think) fitted recently as was recommended as a first port of call for improving on the handling on my classic wagon.

Initial thoughts were good - felt sturdier than without it and allot harder but living in Edinburgh its becoming almost unbearable with all the cobbles and ****e roads around here! I can feel every cobble crease and the slightest bump on the road.

can this be adjusted in anyway or is there something else I can do or is this how it is?

Any help would be well received.

Cheers

slax...

AFAIK, the anti lift kit is just a set of uprated castor bushes that add an extra 5 degrees of castor angle. You can usually slightly adjust the castor angle which will affect the handling, but won't change the feeling of the bumps.

Actually, I'm surprised with just the ALK fitted you get a noticeably harder ride. You should get better steering feel, but I wouldn't expect much else. May just be that you can feel the bumps through the steering more or even just that the pot holes got bigger with the snow/ice!

Thanks for the info - BMWhere?

The difference before and after is quite severe in terms of inside cabin noise - juddery teeth on the cobbles almost! I am no mechanic but feels like I have no shocks or bushes! This was done end of November before 'the freeze' and have lasted this long but just feels too severe - just doesn't feel right. Done some searching around and not read anywhere else that has had a significant difference.

I had a full geometry set up done also at the same time.

Edited by actionslax

How does it feel on smooth roads? I think you need a hovercraft to go around the roads in Edinburgh, mate.

"The Whiteline anti-lift kit is the one that started it all. Whiteline is a very reputable company from Australia that has been making suspension parts for subaru's for years.

This piece changes the mounting point for the lower control arm in increase caster. This gives the car a quicker steering response and will lower lap times greatly.

There are 3 versions of this kit. Normal, Race and Comfort.

Comfort is for people that are people who want little to no increase in NVH(in cabin noise) with a little lose of performance when compared to the normal ALK

Normal is the original ALK. It is the middle of the road kit. It gives a increase of performance with a mild increase in NVH.

Race is for the all out performance. This is made for people that are not worried about NVH at all and want the best performance."

Taken from Rally sport direct.com...

Edited by sti_steve

Nice one sti_steve.

Didn't realise there was 3 different types. Will need to find out which kit I have. Also by fitting this kit do all the normal bushes get replaced with tougher, harder poly ones?

Only asking as my front bushes were recommended to be replaced from my last MOT so wondering if this could be a adding to the harshness.

Back in the summer there I fitted an alk, drop links, roll centre adjustment kit(whiteline parts), front rear strut braces and some bc coilovers. All in all the car feels much better through the bends and with the dampers set to soft the comfert is much the same as the standard setup to be honest. Only the bigger pot holes catch me out, speed bumps etc. are fine. Cabin noise is the only noticeable down side! I have an 02 wrx wagon.

When I ordered my alk I went for the 'comfort' version, it does come in different versions I think?

Nice one sti_steve.

Didn't realise there was 3 different types. Will need to find out which kit I have. Also by fitting this kit do all the normal bushes get replaced with tougher, harder poly ones?

Only asking as my front bushes were recommended to be replaced from my last MOT so wondering if this could be a adding to the harshness.

The ALK only replaces the lower control arm bushes, any other bushes would need to be replaced separately!

AFAIK, the anti lift kit is just a set of uprated castor bushes that add an extra 5 degrees of castor angle. You can usually slightly adjust the castor angle which will affect the handling, but won't change the feeling of the bumps.

Actually, I'm surprised with just the ALK fitted you get a noticeably harder ride. You should get better steering feel, but I wouldn't expect much else. May just be that you can feel the bumps through the steering more or even just that the pot holes got bigger with the snow/ice!

i think you will find that its 0.5deg static caster it adds ,and its not just bushes the brackets are also different

cheers geo ;)

Nice one sti_steve.

hi m8 the three types of alk

kca319a

kca 361 comfort

kca319m motorsport

2007_1028ra5type0354.jpg

standard bkt in silver

whiteline in gold, beefed up brackets bushes yellow comfort

black bushes motorsport with silver brackets

cheers geo