Any Riders/skiers On Here?

Thinking about heading up to Aviemore tomorrow(Sunday 3rd) and I think you have to have snow chains/snow tyres to get up the access road - as in they won't let you up without them. Just spoke to a mate and he says all the Halfords stores in Edinburgh have run out! Not sure where else would sell chains.

Anyone live around the Aviemore/speyside area? What's it like up there?

Cheers

I thought they made snowchains illegal for road use the these days :banana: Never mind..

Roads are mostly passible with care.. Still penty slushy stuff around:

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx?mi=11

Not sure about today but heard on the radio couple days ago that the police were stopping non 4wd vehicles from heading up... How specific that is I'm not sure, since Impreza are obviously 4wd :banana:

One thing for sure though is that it's sounded like it's been packed out by lunchtime and people were being advised not to head for the afternoon as they probably wouldnt' get in..

That was yesterday...

Best bet for snow related road updates is the Winter Highland forum.

Bit late now, but we went to the Lecht on Sunday instead as the choo choo wasn't running at Cairngorm. Was glad we left the FWD car at Carrbridge and just took my car through, wouldn't have fancied some of the stretches without snow tyres. The main roads were all fine, but anything off the beaten track was interesting :) trying to shuffle through villages with 2' of snow making the road little more than a single lane stopped you getting bored.

Watching people try to get their cars in/out of there drives in Inverness was equally entertaining, strangely most were not doing too well in a foot of snow. Wasn't too bad when all snow, but when you had 8" of white stuff ontop of slush anything on normal tyres was having huge problems - not helped by traction control deciding to help :huh:

Hugely disappointed last night - returning home to find there is practically no snow down here was most upsetting :lol: