Thanks To Hypertech And Craigmcd

Got some new boots fitted last week so took the trip to Hypertech to get the alignment done as there was some irregular tyre wear. Car jacked up and young Dunc did some checks... rear wheel bearing shafted! Great! Couldn't do the alignment. The car was booked in for the following Saturday (today) for a replacement bearing and alignment.

In the meantime, CraigMcD changed out all the rear wheel bolts in ready preparation for the bearing replacement (yeah i was still running with jsut three holding on each side). Got to Hypertech this morning dropped the car off and went for a stroll in the lovely Bonnybridge freezing weather. Returned to the garage to see the car on the ramp being prepared for alignment. Duncan then informed me (much to my great pleasure) that the bearing was actually OK! Once he stripped the hub off he noticed that some nut was slack, I think the drive shaft nut or soemthing like that. Anyhoo, it was readily tightned up and all is good. Not like me to get a lucky break!

Anyhoo, the car feels much more sure-footed with the new rubber, balancing and alignment - all good!

Wow, close call havin something loose. Sounds a bit dodgy only havin 3 nuts holdin each wheel too. I'm sure you have a reason for that.

How did the loose nut/bolt/whatever not get picked up 1st time round?

Had three nuts holding it on for months! And I have no idea how it never got picked up...

To be fair, the wheel wasn't held on with just 3 nuts, the other 2 were on, but the threads were badly cross-threaded, so were still holding a bit of the pressure.

I doubt if the rear nut had come slack John, just that some wear had happened in the rear bearing, that could be taken- up by tightening the hub nut. It would be prudent to check it again in a few thousand miles, or after the next trip to Knockhill.

But remember and check the oil every thousand miles - in fact, for all 2.5 Subaru owners this is good advice from what I have heard so far.

Complete this sentence:

Thanks To Hypertech

...I have maxed out six credit cards.

...my wife refuses to cook for me.

...I have accrued nine points on my license in three weeks.

...I have dead flies on my SIDE windows.

B)

Only kiddin', Welsho - glad you're all square again :boldblue:

Hahahahaha!!!!!!