Anyone Going To The Ring This Year?

Just seeing if there are any people genuinely booked or looking to book a trip over this year??

Thinking about heading over (14th-18th May) with a few people from Passionford... some Evos, BMWs and a couple of Imprezas, so not many Fords!! :D ...just wondered if any groups from here are planning to head over??

Cheers,

Grant

I did intend to but have 3 staggers ( a 5 dayer in Ibiza :D ), 3 weddings ( one in the Carribean :driving: ) to pay for now..........kinda screwed up my funds.

The only automotive fun I have lined up is the SIDC track day and a two day Caterham hire.....

If you go with a group I'd advice a group of 3 cars or less. Anything more is a ball-ache and you'll get split up in the Ring car park by default ( v.v.v.v. busy)

If I were you I'd try and also go on a weekend where a VLN race is on http://www.vln.de/

My parting advice :-

1311.jpg

Cheers

Cal

grant,

i'm heading over that time - tis my birthday weekend - will hopefully have a new car by then too...

was there last year for rock am ring....

are the rosyth ferrys back on?

i mind speaking to dunc when he went over in his stripped out 200sx - crazy bugger even took that to work!

nyle.

grant,

i'm heading over that time - tis my birthday weekend - will hopefully have a new car by then too...

was there last year for rock am ring....

are the rosyth ferrys back on?

i mind speaking to dunc when he went over in his stripped out 200sx - crazy bugger even took that to work!

nyle.

Nyle, as far as I know the Rosyth stuff is still a no-go?? The main group for the trip I'm thinking about is going from Calais, however, I was thinking about using the Hull ferry and hooking up with the group over there.. because driving the length of the UK isn't so bad on the way, but after a few days of banter, I really couldn't face that boring drive home again.

I'm going to talk to Dunc and see if he fancies the trip over. There are a couple of people locally that I talked to tonight who seem pretty keen for it, would be great to have a group of local mates/people I know from owners club to go with but its hard to tie in holidays/finances for everyone at the same time.

Like I said above, there are a few EVOs going to be there, so that should satisfy your weird fetish for all things darkside mate... :driving::D

Cheers,

Grant

Newcastle to IJMuiden is excellent.................enjoyable sail with good overnight sleep. Then a bit of Dutch scenery ( and the ferry terminal in IJmUiden is only 15 miles away from the Zandvoort race track)............after that it's MEGA autobahn time with loads of unrestricted quiet sections. Lots of sweet asphalt in the Eifel mountains after that. Hull to Zeebrugge means sloooow progress past Brussels. Guys I know who went this way were bored to tears with the traffic.

Just my 2p worth

CGS

Hi Grant

interested in this trip to the ring in may as me and the misses have a baby due in june so it would be a good blow out before the big day and it would also depend on getting the holidays from work but it shouldn't be a problem.

Used the newcastle to ijmuiden boat alot in my last job it's a good boat and as cal say's it'll cut out alot of driving and you'll miss the traffic at brussells which for most of the day is very slow moving..

cheers steve

Here is the report that the organiser did for his 2007 report, which has a rough guide to costs involved for this trip too... although things will have changed slightly since then regarding exchange rates, petrol prices etc.

http://passionford.com/forum/showthread.ph...ing+trip+report

Cal, who runs the Ferry crossing that you used from Newcastle?? ...because in true RS Grant style, the route of least possible stress seriously appeals to me. :)

Steve, would be great to get a few of us travelling from up here mate. The more the merrier. :lol:

Cheers,

Grant

I'm heading over again for a couple of VLN races this year... A friend of mine runs a couple of cars out there! Can highly recommend going for the 24 hour race there! It's mental!!

Also going over in a couple of weeks! Going to pick up a car with another mate... Sadly it's not a 'ring special but a Mercedes Pullman! And were going in a truck! So no laps this time :)

One thing I will say though is don't travel in a convoy! German Police don't like i very much! Keep it to a max of 2 or 3 cars, spread out if there's more of you going... Otherwise they will find an excuse to pull you over and fine you all!!

Hi grant

The ferry which runs from newcastle to ijmuiden is DFDS seaways and if memory serves me correct it leaves about 5 or 6 and gets into ijmuiden about 9 in the morning. Prices for a return are about £300 for 2 people and a car with an inside cabin. Hull to zeebrugge is about £230 for 2 people and 1 car with a cabin

Not sure if the roysth ferry might be up and running again as i think there are some companies interested in taking it on again now that the EU is providing grants for the sailing.

Keep in touch mate about it as i'd definately be up for it.

cheers steve

Edited by steveairdrie

Steve, here is the thread on Passionford with updates etc.. I'll try to keep this thread updated as well. The prices for the Ferries seem to be very similar to what you quoted above and I do think its worth travelling from Hull or Newcastle rather than trying to blat down the UK to join the group in Dover. :)

Pedro and JAC.. be good to see one or both of your cars on the Ring. :lol:

Cheers,

Grant