Got Mudflaps? Word Of Warning!

If you've got flaps......

STI Bugeye, MY02, 45k miles, Genuine Subaru mudflaps fitted from new:

post-2796-1221412511.jpg

Behind the plastic wheelarch liner was absolutely full of mud. Almost up to the level of the mudflap screws. I assume it's supposed to drain out of the slot at the bottom but this was completely choked. Not helped by the piece of foam insulation added by Subaru which seems to just retain moisture! :angry:

You can just make out in the photo where the metal is split by the bolt hole. Don't know if this happened when the mudflaps were fitted or after it started to corrode.

The two OEM mudflap bolts on the edge of the wheel arch had to be cut free, the clip nuts on the inside were completely corroded and broken. The two lower self tapping screws on the inner wheelarch were fine.

Interestingly the passenger side was also completely choked but no corrosion visible. This might be helped by the lack of foam insulation on that side. Strange!

Car is booked into the bodyshop next week for repair and I've bought a set of new stainless steel fasteners to reattach the mudflaps. Not sure I'll be putting the piece of foam back in though. Local parts dept were very helpful supplying replacement clip nuts & plastic rivets.

Would be very interested to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Cheers, Mark

a word of warning, this can happen to the rear arches on newages, if you tuck your hand in under the arch and run your hand along the inside (against the body pannel)you can feel a groove/ledge that in the winter gets full of mud and salt... you want to clean this out every week :D