It's Terminal....

Pele

Well went to start her up today and nothing :D Had a good look around and we have water coming out from the side of the engine and when I re checked oil it's deffo head gasket failure :) Not sure what to do now, a decent rebuild will cost around 2.5k, and I can probably pick up another classic for that, then again I don't have the money to do either :D

However, if anyone would like to rebuild the engine for free, I won't mind in the slightest and will even supply tea and sandwiches :D

Well went to start her up today and nothing :D Had a good look around and we have water coming out from the side of the engine and when I re checked oil it's deffo head gasket failure :) Not sure what to do now, a decent rebuild will cost around 2.5k, and I can probably pick up another classic for that, then again I don't have the money to do either :D

However, if anyone would like to rebuild the engine for free, I won't mind in the slightest and will even supply tea and sandwiches :D

ohh not good news sorry
Well went to start her up today and nothing B) Had a good look around and we have water coming out from the side of the engine and when I re checked oil it's deffo head gasket failure :D Not sure what to do now, a decent rebuild will cost around 2.5k, and I can probably pick up another classic for that, then again I don't have the money to do either :D

However, if anyone would like to rebuild the engine for free, I won't mind in the slightest and will even supply tea and sandwiches :angry:

Sorry to hear the bad news :thumbup:

Spoken to many of the top guys with regards to the engine and they all say you should have a rehone and to replace the bearings etc or you will suffer another failure within a few months due to the engine being under higher pressure and the parts being worn.

When the time comes David at API will be getting my money :) i know of lots of engines being built by him and none have had problems plus a few internal parts may be upgraded at the same time B)

Tony

oh dear not good news but if its only head gasket you wont need an engine rebuild ??

Pele, get the gasket kit and borrow a crane pull the motor and pull the head off. get the head skimmed and slap it all back together mate.

No need for a rebuild and yorue only in it for a couple of hundred!

totally agree no need for a rebuild

Extreme

API

Mocom

Scoobyclinic

Zen

Graham Goode

TSL

All of the above plus a good few others have said not to do just the head gasket, although im sure your right and it can be done cheap i would like the peace of mind plus like i say a few bits internally like pistons, conrods, crank etc will more than likely be uprated in preparation for alot more power.

Tony

Extreme

API

Mocom

Scoobyclinic

Zen

Graham Goode

TSL

All of the above plus a good few others have said not to do just the head gasket, although im sure your right and it can be done cheap i would like the peace of mind plus like i say a few bits internally like pistons, conrods, crank etc will more than likely be uprated in preparation for alot more power.

Tony

Tony, i wont disagree with the people above,

BUT firstly most of those places will make money from you rebuilding your engine.

They also know that when a head gasket goes, normally the engine has had a hard life and therefore needs a rebuild anyway.

However, if your car was running perfectly ok, and the headgasket has just gone, then in all honesty there is NO NEED to rebuild the engine.

Look at it this way. Unless youre running more boost and uprated turbo etc etc then doing the headgasket is perfectly fine.

Ive done two different engines in two different cars now and not done a thing to the bottom end or anything else and they are still running fine.

If youre running uprated boost control, and turbo and other mods that raise the normal running conditions of the engine, then you MIGHT have a problem later on.

But i would envisage you changing the head gasket and running that car fine for quite a while if you dont abuse the crap out of her.

You've seen Pele drive then :)

Ooohhh you bitch!!! :iagree:

Emoe, our friends who brought a car from a KS member had the same problem and just did the head gaskets themselves and the engine still wasn't running properly and kept stalling etc, when it was taken to a Scooby garage to check they were told the engine was F****** and that if they had done the bearings and bits while it was apart it would not have gone wrong again.

If I have the engine done then it will be a full rebuild with strengthened internals as I fully intend to do track days in it this time :blush:

And no it didn't have a hard life before this happened as I have only just started getting my confidence back after writing off my first scooby - plus anything over 70mph and I needed ear defenders B) all it did really was the school run and a few trips here and there.....

Ooohhh you bitch!!! :blush:

Emoe, our friends who brought a car from a KS member had the same problem and just did the head gaskets themselves and the engine still wasn't running properly and kept stalling etc, when it was taken to a Scooby garage to check they were told the engine was F****** and that if they had done the bearings and bits while it was apart it would not have gone wrong again.

If I have the engine done then it will be a full rebuild with strengthened internals as I fully intend to do track days in it this time B)

And no it didn't have a hard life before this happened as I have only just started getting my confidence back after writing off my first scooby - plus anything over 70mph and I needed ear defenders :) all it did really was the school run and a few trips here and there.....

Ok i understand now,

See, the engine isnt in great shape anyway so yes id advise having a rebuild too.

If the engine was fine you could get away with it.

Good luck mate

Extreme

API

Mocom

Scoobyclinic

Zen

Graham Goode

TSL

All of the above plus a good few others have said not to do just the head gasket

Not quite what I said Tony, for reference here's the email I sent through to you.

Hi Tony,

attached is a quotation to repair your engine assuming it has suffered failure from one or both failed head gaskets.

The quote contains three pages, the first is the minimum required to get you back on the road. The second page contains recommendations of work that could be carried out at the same time as the engine is out therefore reducing the probability of these parts failing further down the line. The third page contains the quote to replace the bearings and 'freshen' up the bottom end, again this would be cheaper to carry out this work at the same time as conducting the head gasket repair as the engine will be removed from the car.

If there's any thing you'd like further clarification on please call on 020 8502 3050 or reply with your queries to info@mocomracing.com

Best regards,

Zak

Mocom Racing

+44 20 8502 3050

please direct any replies to info or sales@mocomracing.com

The 2nd page of recommendations detailed commen sense items to replace at this opportunity :-

Front and rear crankshaft oil seal

RCMS oil pump

Water pump

Timing belt

Tensioner

Valve stem oil seals

Spark plugs

The 3rd page detailed new bearings etc, but this was at your request after AN Other Tuner recommended that you rebuild the bottom end due to the stress of head gasket failure.

Good luck with whatever path you choose but please be clear with your posts when refering to something we have said ;)

Zak

Tony was just adding a list of the respected tuners he had talked to and a generalisation that the bearings should be done, not making a referance to just your advice but all the advice in general ;)

He did not mean to misrepresent any information given

Pele