Help With Calipers

I've never used one, but i don't know if i'd be comfortable using them on my brakes. Seen them used to replace knackered spark plug bores, yeah, but they don't see that much stress, and from the design of them, they look fairly good in tension, just not sure how well they'd perform/how much i'd trust them, in shear

I've never used one, but i don't know if i'd be comfortable using them on my brakes. Seen them used to replace knackered spark plug bores, yeah, but they don't see that much stress, and from the design of them, they look fairly good in tension, just not sure how well they'd perform/how much i'd trust them, in shear

I agree, helicoil in the brakes is NOT a good idea, its a temp fix as far as i am concerned.

The thread size is 10mm (or an M10 thread) which means it has an 8.5mm hole. M12 uses a 10.25mm hole, so you can drill the clearance hole in the brakes to 12.2mm, then drill the threads out with a 10mm drill, to clear the threads, then tap them with an M12 tap. this will give you plenty of thread afterwards.

make sure you use a starter tap then finish with a bottom tap.

Clean out the threads and use new M12 bolts and some Loctite.

I agree, helicoil in the brakes is NOT a good idea, its a temp fix as far as i am concerned.

The thread size is 10mm (or an M10 thread) which means it has an 8.5mm hole. M12 uses a 10.25mm hole, so you can drill the clearance hole in the brakes to 12.2mm, then drill the threads out with a 10mm drill, to clear the threads, then tap them with an M12 tap. this will give you plenty of thread afterwards.

make sure you use a starter tap then finish with a bottom tap.

Clean out the threads and use new M12 bolts and some Loctite.

This is what is said about them

(Sprung insert coils create a stronger thread than the original metal. )

This is what is said about them

(Sprung insert coils create a stronger thread than the original metal. )

thats true but its only as strong as the parent metal around it and secondly HELICOIL is not reccomended for high Tourque applications such as braking systems.

Only giving my advice!

Use whatever you wish!

thats true but its only as strong as the parent metal around it and secondly HELICOIL is not reccomended for high Tourque applications such as braking systems.

Only giving my advice!

Use whatever you wish!

Thanks I appreciate what you are saying

And will take it on board

Just looking for the best way to overcome my problem

Thought they were M10 but they are M12 x 1.5

3 of the 4 holes are striped

The helicoil might be as strong as the parent metal, but in the original set up, you had a bolt bearing against the parent metal. The parent metal is probably what, at best S355, probably something nearer 235, which means the bolt is still at least twice as strong as the parent metal, assuming they use at least 8.8's. With a helicoil, the bolt is bearing, or in tension against the threads in the helicoil, and the helicoil is bearing and shearing against the hub. I'm quite tired and appreciate that doesn't make too much sense, but trust me, not the best idea, i certainly wouldn't. I'd have a look at it all and see if it could be drilled out a size, as already said.

The helicoil might be as strong as the parent metal, but in the original set up, you had a bolt bearing against the parent metal. The parent metal is probably what, at best S355, probably something nearer 235, which means the bolt is still at least twice as strong as the parent metal, assuming they use at least 8.8's. With a helicoil, the bolt is bearing, or in tension against the threads in the helicoil, and the helicoil is bearing and shearing against the hub. I'm quite tired and appreciate that doesn't make too much sense, but trust me, not the best idea, i certainly wouldn't. I'd have a look at it all and see if it could be drilled out a size, as already said.

:thumbup: