New to Subaru - Hoping for advice!

Hi Guys,

Just a quick hello, my name is Barry and i am friend of Mark (enCrypt). He advised me to come on here for any information regarding Scoobys, and i was pleased to see a section for the Isle of Man

I currently drive a 2004 Honda Civic Type R (worth about £9300) but i would like to take the plunge and get myself a decent scooby. I don't really want to spend a stupid amount of money, and i am hoping to part ex the type r to alleviate the costs. Budget is around 10-11k, the cheaper the car the sooner i can get it !

I have tried to read up as much as i can, and i have seen some nice JDM's for sale in the UK with relatively low mileage (30k) but wasn't sure if i should stay away from imports? Any advice on where to get hold of one would be much appreciated. Preferably a garage for the trade in on the Type R, as i doubt many people would do a swap! I haven't seen many for sale on the Isle of Man, and i am assuming i would get ripped off by garages over here?

I don't mind travelling to the UK if i have to, i appreciate it will be cheaper than buying locally.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and thanks for any advice you can give me

Cheers

Barry

Edited by somewhatdamaged

Welcome Barry,

Are you thinking classic or new age?

If you are looking at the UK market and prepared to think imported then the choice is massive.

What sort of things are you looking to go for.

ie are you looking out and out performance or just a good rock solid turbo?

John

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum

The choices really are endless, before shopping around try to decide what model varient you want, WRX, STi, Classic or Newage, import or UK Spec and so on.

There is a lad on here called Dan (ScoobyWhore) who just bought an MY05 (I think) UK spec STi through the car shop, he says the service was top and could not pick a fault with anything they did. Dont think they would do an import though. I suspect they would take your Type R in part ex without any probs, source the Scoob for you, bring it onto the island, put it through a Manx test if neccessary and then register it here saving you a whole load of time and hastle

Welcome once again mate, anythiung else you know where to find us :(

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum

The choices really are endless, before shopping around try to decide what model varient you want, WRX, STi, Classic or Newage, import or UK Spec and so on.

There is a lad on here called Dan (ScoobyWhore) who just bought an MY05 (I think) UK spec STi through the car shop, he says the service was top and could not pick a fault with anything they did. Dont think they would do an import though. I suspect they would take your Type R in part ex without any probs, source the Scoob for you, bring it onto the island, put it through a Manx test if neccessary and then register it here saving you a whole load of time and hastle

Welcome once again mate, anythiung else you know where to find us :(

Totally agree. There is an endless choice out there, depends on what you like. New age, or classics!! For the money you are looking to spend you can get a really nice model, so good luck!!

Remember to keep us informed on your search!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the friendly welcome

It's the STI i am after (that's the faster one right?), ideally nothing older than 2002 as i worry a bit about buying older cars (perhaps unnecessarily?)

Would like a black one as i think they look absolutely superb and the sound on a subaru is second to none.

i have popped into carshop and they are going to keep their eyes open for me

Not easy justifying it to my wife, as all she can see is it costing more to insure than the type r and costing more to run!! Trying to explain she can get more tesco shopping in the back of the scooby :-)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the friendly welcome

It's the STI i am after (that's the faster one right?), ideally nothing older than 2002 as i worry a bit about buying older cars (perhaps unnecessarily?)

Would like a black one as i think they look absolutely superb and the sound on a subaru is second to none.

i have popped into carshop and they are going to keep their eyes open for me

Not easy justifying it to my wife, as all she can see is it costing more to insure than the type r and costing more to run!! Trying to explain she can get more tesco shopping in the back of the scooby :-)

They have tesco on the Isle??

Last time i was there it pissed down and i sat in Tent City while a bunch of germans thought it funny to rev their bikes without exhausts for 3 hours consistently!!

the next night, me and a few peed off people burned their bike in the campfire while they were off finding more beer!!!! HA!!!!

Yeah that's a good point Dave, i guess it depends on price really. Like i said, the cheaper the car the sooner i can get it and i am damn impatient (so my wife tells me!)

The next car has to be a keeper, i have had 5 cars in three years. The Type R is really nice, but my best friend knocked it when i was away on my honeymoon and i kinda lost interest in it after that. I would like something faster that handles better and hopefully has a bigger boot

How does the STi compare to the type r? Any of you guys 'experienced' going against one?

cheers

I have spent a wee bit (most of) this morning having a look on Pistonheads and AutoTrader at prices to guage whats out there.

You have £10k-£11k to spend you say, going buy whats available online at the moment that would get you

1. a nice clean classic with mods or a P1. but classics would be too old for you judging by what you said previously.

2. Upwards of £6k or £7k would get you a MY01-MY02 Bugeye STi, leaving you a wee splash of money left over for some personalisation and perhaps to take the wife shopping to justify your purchase of the Scoob.

The last option would be to try talking the wife into letting you spend a wee bit more than your said budget and you could start looking at MY03 STi's or maybe if you are lucky an MY04 STi

Remember this is only my judgement after spending a while looking at what is for sale on Pistonheads

One comment, coming from a Honda Tyre R you may find a Classic STi a bit old school.

Not the same bells and whistles.

You could combine both...

Have a Classic STi Type R B)

Its rapid and very low geared so heavy on fuel.

Had a P1 it was a little more refined, only a little :(

Never driven a newage so cant comment.

Like we say its down to what you are looking for and how you intend to use it.

There are a few UK import sites that are worth a look. Do a search "Japanese importers"

or something like that.

Have a search about and even look on flea-bay for some ideas of whats out there.

How does the STi compare to the type r? Any of you guys 'experienced' going against one?

cheers

Hi Ya,

I have had both during my 11 years spent on Scooby Island

2 Civic Type Rs & 5 Imprezas (Type R Import,Uk Turbo,Uk Sti7,Import Sti8 & The First Hawkeye Import in Europe!)

All good cars, but once in a Good Impreza, you will never go back especially living where you do.

With the budget you have finding a good car should be easyish, go for the newist you can afford (personal opinion) BUT do not rush, there are so many available, get yerself down to Barry Currans (to try Not buy :D ) and get a feel for the car, there are also plenty of good local guys who i would no doubt take you out in there cars to also get a feel as to how Different they all are.

Sadly, i am no longer on the island nor have a scooby anymore, but good luck in finding a car.

Ta Ta

Richard