Project Wrx ........

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if possible I would cut the bumper bar so the intercooler can go up further

DSC01374.jpg

intercooler looks very close to the ground?

Simon

If i cut any more out of it i wont have any left lol, would this not weaken the front of the car ???

It is 5 1/2 inches off the ground as it sits now , is that not high enough ????

Edited by Loony Toon
intercooler replaces bumper bar material :D

I measured it and i will only be gaining an inch if i cut the bumper bar right out o the way ?? Surely by taking all the metal out i will be removing the strength of the support ? Will it not affect the whole front end also ???? Or it the bar only for crash safety and holding on the front bumper ? Dont really want to cut out the whole bar unless i know for sure it will be ok to ??

Would be curious to know from other members how low there front bumper/splitter is to the ground, as i was running my last wrx with only 4 inches to the floor !!!!

Edited by Loony Toon

Is your car lowered?

When I put on the Prodrive springs, Prodrive claimed the car would drop about 25-35mm, but in reality the car dropped 55mm. I measured the car on a level surface on a couple of days to get a true measure, before lowering and again after. From your pics it looks as though your car may have been dropped.

If it hasn't then the clearance that you have now might get a bit tight if you lower it.

Nice to see the work in progress. Looking forward to the next lot of pics.

Is your car lowered?

When I put on the Prodrive springs, Prodrive claimed the car would drop about 25-35mm, but in reality the car dropped 55mm. I measured the car on a level surface on a couple of days to get a true measure, before lowering and again after. From your pics it looks as though your car may have been dropped.

If it hasn't then the clearance that you have now might get a bit tight if you lower it.

Nice to see the work in progress. Looking forward to the next lot of pics.

I have Leda coilovers fitted mate :D although if i want to go lower it may become an issue , if the main bumper bar is not needed ill cut the whole thing out and move it up but need to know or defo before i do !!!!!!

The cat is called Sid and his brother Boris was sitting on Peles car watching !!!!!

Edited by Loony Toon

its looking really good m8t :D but if you can take away the bumper bar with no problems, to raise it up another inch it would be alot better, ive scrapped my exhaust on speed ramps before going over slow, & i wouldnt want my front end hitting!!!, unless you can raise the car up a little but then your defeating the object :rotfl:

id ask sid or boris to lay under to see what they think :rotfl:

Think the kit may have been for a classic not a newage !!!!! Hence the reason its deeper :rotfl:

Never mind though ;) looks like ill be taking the bumper bar off or higher so it will clear ok :D more work but i like the fact it has a bigger face to it and will take in more air :rotfl:

Hopefully the bumper bar is not to badly needed !!!!!!

Try ht autos for splitters. cover most of the bottom up then

By the way looking good...... :D

Already been looking Neil , and seeing as im doing a face lift to the car had seen the ht autos one for the blob eye sti :rotfl:

Think i may i may take the bumper off and cut a bit more out the beam to see if i can lift it at least another inch :rotfl:

Then drop the car lower anyway !!!!!!

So what is the measurement from the bottom of the FMIC to ground

Mine is 140mm, my plan is to have a blob eye sti front end with splitter on it so will be this low anyway i think, plus looking around at a few other cars and there are lots lower than mine will ever be !!!!!!!!

tony

Edited by Loony Toon

Is the bumper bar needed mate ?? Sorry Tony but the bar isn't there for the fun of it. :D

If you cut it out it might affect the rigidity and flex of the car. The dynamics may alter as well, but this was learnt from building a kit car which is very different to playing with a production car.

By the size of the cooler I think that it would compensate for the loss of the crumple zone :rotfl::rotfl:;)

Lets be honest car company's don't spend anymore money than they have to when it comes to design, so to cut a big chunk away isn't to be advised. :D

Sorry to be DOOM and GLOOM