Forced Performance

alright folks,

has anyone on here ever used a forced performance turbo,

been hearing lots of good reports on the H'evo' scene but never much about use on scoobies

Yes M8 - some like them some don't. Depends on what your looking for out of your car and how you drive it that best determines the turbo you need.

Contact Mike Tuckwood or Jase down at Scoobymania and they'll give you the "lowdown". Then ask AndyF and Mark @ Lateral Performance what they recommmend :driving:

Russell

Yes M8 - some like them some don't. Depends on what your looking for out of your car and how you drive it that best determines the turbo you need.

Contact Mike Tuckwood or Jase down at Scoobymania and they'll give you the "lowdown". Then ask AndyF and Mark @ Lateral Performance what they recommmend :D

Russell

Not heard of FP turbos before but not sure what your post meant, is it that SM do these turbos (and LP do the MD321 turbos) or something else?

Not heard of FP turbos before but not sure what your post meant, is it that SM do these turbos (and LP do the MD321 turbos) or something else?

Scoobymania do the FP "derivatives" and Lateral Performance (and hence, AndyF) do the MD series

IMHO, for a road car the MD series is pretty much unbeatable in terms of power delivery and spoolup due -amongst other things - to the Ball bearing Garrett core, but I am running an FP "derivative" as I'll have MILD :P Anti lag running and the FP core , due to its thrust bearing design, would be easier to rebuild and cheap to do so.

I thought MD with Anti lag would be a bad idea and not recommend ..unless you have DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEp pockets! (turns out I was wrong about that one! :D )

in order of POWER OUTPUT ON ROAD FUEL (not preference)

MD321H - 390-400

FP Green - 440-450

MD 321T - 450-460

FP Red 490-500

Russell

Edited by WUZ
not sure what i need at the moment, down to get the car mapped on tuesday so will speak to andy then

cheers

I have you down for Monday ? I'm mapping in Ireland on Tuesday.

I don't only supply Lateral turbos, I have also used/supplied FP Green and many others from the USA and Japan.

The Green used to be virtually a TD06-49 which is quite nice on a 2.5 but a bit laggy on a 2.0 Lately they have changed it and there are now 3 versions of it. Nobody seems to know (or want to tell) what it consists of now.

There is no problem running any of the Garrett BB turbos with mild anti lag, full anti lag however will quickly kill any of the turbos mentioned.

Andy

Edited by Andy.F
Scoobymania do the FP "derivatives" and Lateral Performance (and hence, AndyF) do the MD series

IMHO, for a road car the MD series is pretty much unbeatable in terms of power delivery and spoolup due -amongst other things - to the Ball bearing Garrett core, but I am running an FP "derivative" as I'll have MILD :D Anti lag running and the FP core , due to its thrust bearing design, is easily rebuildable and cheap to do so.

MD with Anti lag is a bad idea and I would NOT recommend it..unless you have DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEp pockets!

in order of POWER OUTPUT ON ROAD FUEL (not preference)

MD321H - 390-400

FP Green - 440-450

MD 321T - 450-460

FP Red 490-500

Russell

Ah, fair enough. Those power figures the approx figures the turbo will make on any engine or just on the 2.0? (ie does the 2.5 get better figures from the same thing?)

I don't only supply Lateral turbos

:D

I didn't mean for it to come out like that Andy, I know you have worked with the FP type, deadbolt type and the MD series but only described the ones that have been mentioned on this post. Whats your opinion on the Green?

Lately they have changed it and there are now 3 versions of it. Nobody seems to know (or want to tell) what it consists of now.

Seems that some of the FP parts for their Green and Red turbo's are coming in from Taiwan, etc and are putting people off so that question needs answered as well.

There is no problem running any of the Garrett BB turbos with mild anti lag, full anti lag however will quickly kill any of the turbos mentioned.

Again, my bad! - I felt any form of Anti-lag is bad for turbos, especially BB ones in terms of rebuilding costs!

Thanks for the info Andy. Enjoy Ireland :P

Russell

Edited by WUZ
Ah, fair enough. Those power figures the approx figures the turbo will make on any engine or just on the 2.0? (ie does the 2.5 get better figures from the same thing?)

2.5 will spoolup earlier due to more exhaust gases flowing to the turbo for a given engine rpm (in theory, 25% more)

in terms of extra bhp, that depends on ability to take more ignition advance, higher boost, etc and I'll leave that for Andy to answer (MUCH MORE QUALIFIED IN THAT AREA THAN I WILL EVER BE!)

Russell

No probs Russell :D

The 2.0 v 2.5 answer depends upon a lot of variables as Russell has mentioned, generally a 2.0 will make as much power as a 2.5 with the same turbo, its the torque and power delivery that will be improved on the 2.5

Its really a case of matching the turbo to the capacity and your preferred powerband.

Andy

No probs Russell B)

The 2.0 v 2.5 answer depends upon a lot of variables as Russell has mentioned, generally a 2.0 will make as much power as a 2.5 with the same turbo, its the torque and power delivery that will be improved on the 2.5

Its really a case of matching the turbo to the capacity and your preferred powerband.

Andy

So with all of the 450-500bhp+ cars that are kicking around these days, is it possible to get that kind of power and still have something that is an "easy" daily driver that spools as quick, if not quicker than std?

So with all of the 450-500bhp+ cars that are kicking around these days, is it possible to get that kind of power and still have something that is an "easy" daily driver that spools as quick, if not quicker than std?

Difficult tbh as your asking for 100 bhp more outout than your VF series turbo but want it to spool up earlier than that? plus spoolup is about more than the turbo itself, you need to factor in the correct headers, uppipe and inlet pipe too!

HMM!

on a 2.5, I believe Andy has had 500/4800 out of an MD321T, just don't ask what the boost pressure :eek:

450/450 on a 2.5 with daily driver intentions.......................................MD321T with 45mm bore uppipe.

Andy will be able to advise better when he gets back on here.

Russell

Edited by WUZ

I one word"Yes".......i'm just there and it's perfectly drivable as long as the ECU map is done correctly and smoothly......but it might not spool as quick as you have to consider that by the size of the turbo......but when it spools up,it's flying!!!

I one word"Yes".......i'm just there and it's perfectly drivable as long as the ECU map is done correctly and smoothly......but it might not spool as quick as you have to consider that by the size of the turbo......but when it spools up,it's flying!!!

True but you don't have to spend the money you have done to make that power out of a daily driver. You have, after all gone and done it the extra safe way ( built a 600bhp capable engine running 500 bhp power!) with Gucci bits and it will no doubt be an AWESOME car (one to be avoided on track, I have no doubt!).

Russell

Fair enough, I just wondered right enough as there seem to be more and more people heading to that kind of levels of power...

Saying that I was used to a TD05 on a 94 wagin before... now that was lag B)