Modding a bugeye :- 215bhp to 305 bhp.......

Posting for the newbies, if I had known in Jan 2005 what I now know I would have jumped to stage 4 .......but that's modding for you [<:P)]

Stage 0 - no mods and 215 bhp from the factory 

Stage 1 - the usual attempts to let her breathe and free up some burble

Factory Map + K&N panel filter, WR Sport backbox, ScoobySport decat link pipe and unsilenced centre section. Horrible standard WRX downpipe & up-pipe cat still in-situ.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Stage 2 - a remap to see what gains can be realised from Doctor F

Andy Forrest Map + the above ( measily 1.1 bar due to EGT / cat restrictions)

Stage 3 - more serious tweaks in pursuit of more boost & ponies

Revised Andy Forrest Map + ScoobySport Backbox mated to to complete turbo back TSL Thundercat system ( high flow 100 cell cat) +  decat H&S up-pipe + ported turbo ( though still a standard TD04). Hitting 1.2 bar of boost.

bhp.jpg

torque-1.jpg

( edit - the middle line should read 230 ft.lb's )

Nice quick spool up with torque flooding in early & strong

Latest Update ( after dyno run at Wallace today)  

Stage 4 - Now with a ported VF35 turbo and Walbro 255 fuel pump

DSC04490.jpg

Spools up slightly later than the TD04 but she now sings right up the rev range......phenomenal for overtaking .....

Now I have hit 300+ bhp I will be hanging up my modding boots and pimping out prams instead !

Thanks to Wuz and Russ @ Wallace ..............two top blokes  [Y]

Cheers

Cal

Great stuff Cal, i always pour a coffee before i read a Cal post [:P

One question i have though and am not trying to pi55 on your parade or nothing so please dont take this the wrong way

KAR is also running fuel pump and VF35 and Mr F on his wrx and he is pumping out 325 bhp and 300 ft/lb

What and why the differance? As i say am just curious, same mods, same cars, and such a differance in figures?

Can someone can explain that one?

edit :- Russell posted literally seconds before me and wrapped up in 3 lines !

It's a valid point Macca and one that did occur to me.....

I have a Sports Cat and he is decatted but other than that I can see no real explanation. No two cars are the same though.

If you click on my link below you can see my full spec....

There are a few cars that produce keen figures out the box - St3ph3ns and Phil W's to name two .......so I suppose by the time you mod them they still have that inherent edge on them.... 

At the end of the day and I am still a happy man as the Andy's map is a good un' in terms of a healthy set up and I am achieving target boost.

Maybe Andy F can add his experiences as he'll have seen these situations before.....

I have 18's and he has 17's - it should not make a difference as the rolling circumference should be the same but weirder things have happened !

Now itching to get onto Knockhill and deploy these ponies - standard Exiges should be easier on the straights now whereas before I was neck and neck with them. But like yourself, babies now come into the equation and will sap the old finances so I think I'll try and preserve my new-ish Ferodo's and Toyo's !

Cheers

Cal

Cool

Kev still runs the wrx tmic too, so it looks like its down to the 100cel cat then me thinks (scratches head)[Y]

EH? Kev had an STI TMIC fitted didn't he?

Oh well, still put out a VERY GOOD RESULT!

Nice one Kev!

Russell

Good wee progress report... would be brill if you could press a button that changed it from 215bhp to 305bhp and see the huge difference that its made in one step, cause I'm sure a wee bit of the impact has been lost doing it in stages.

Its a damn fine looking Bugeye too. PFF7's really suit it. [H]

Cheers,

Grant

Cool

Kev still runs the wrx tmic too, so it looks like its down to the 100cel cat then me thinks (scratches head)[Y]

EH? Kev had an STI TMIC fitted didn't he?

Oh well, still put out a VERY GOOD RESULT!

Nice one Kev!

Russell

Hi Russ no i'm still on the standard tmic i am going to change it soon. And thanks you fitted everything!

I will have one soon when i see Phil !

Cal,

Going down the td04h turbo route eventually myself, have had a few emails

from Andy saying that 320ish is achievable with sti i/c and injectors with the tdo4 ?

I take it the vf35 has more scope for future modding ? Are you still running

std injectors / intercooler ? Trying to decide whether i'm making the right choice for my

usage of the car.

Cheers,

Craig

Cal,

Going down the td04h turbo route eventually myself, have had a few emails

from Andy saying that 320ish is achievable with sti i/c and injectors with the tdo4 ?

I take it the vf35 has more scope for future modding ? Are you still running

std injectors / intercooler ? Trying to decide whether i'm making the right choice for my

usage of the car.

Cheers,

Craig

I am on standard injectors and a plain old WRX IC.........I would go for the TD04-H if you can afford it as it's the best of both worlds. Fast spool up and won't die on you at 5500 rpm. I was happy to get over 300 bhp and will leave my car "as is" for now.....I miss the TD04 spool up but in reality the VF35 is only 500 revs behind it in terms of target boost..