knocking noise

Hi all, Just had my car down at the dealership where i bought it from there seems to be a knocking noise coming from the rear suspension and it sounds worse when anyone sits in the back they had a look and couldn't find anything wrong apart from a bit of play on the rear strut, They phoned a subaru dealer who said that was normal not sure if i should my dealers word for it or take it to subaru myself.

If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it.

cheers dougie

It is normal as in a known problem that happens to just about every new age car. It's not however normal in the sense you don't need to get it fixed! Subaru really should have done a recall on it to fix the problem, but never did. The problem occurs on most cars while it's still under warranty, so in most cases Subaru will just fix it for free. I assume your car is out of warranty now, but it may be worth asking a Subaru dealer (or two) if they will replace for free or at least for discount as it is a manufacturing fault. If not, then you may want to consider replacing with different suspension, as it will probably be cheaper than OEM items for much better kit!

Dougie, this is a very common problem - I've had three sets of rear struts replaced on two Hawkeyes, by Subaru, under warranty.

As your car is warranted, you could push to have the rear struts replaced, but be aware that they will fail again - I've had as little as 10K miles out of a set, other Hawkeye owners have seen them fail much sooner! Furthermore, there is no cheaper or better third-party alternative strut (KYB only did replacements for models up to the Blobeye last time I checked*).

In practical terms, the only longer-term solution (assuming you plan on keeping the car) is a good set of coilovers. The good news is that your car will handle all the better for fitting them. Choose carefully and it shouldn't ride too much harder either ;)

* Might be worth double-checking that KYB still don't make replacements for Hawkeyes.

I have only owned the car for a month and it comes with a years warranty but i never got it from a subaru dealer, if i want to change the shockers myself what the best kit at a reasonable price.

You may find if it's not the Subaru warranty it will be looked at as a worn part and not covered, some of these so called warranties are not really any good. As mystery says coil overs are probably your best bet. Will be looking at them next year myself hopefully..

Edited by Alastair

Thanks guys for your advice appreciate it. I was completely baffled by the knocking noise every time there was people sitting in the back i couldn't pin point where it was coming from, I think i will upgrade when i get some spare cash.

again thanks everyone for your input :icon_salut:

dougie

For a quick fix you can always try this:-

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/KnockingNewageRearStruts

Might tide you over until you can get the Coilovers buddy.

Thanks mate i will give that a try,I first thought it was the jack lying in the boot so emptied the full boot and thought i cured the problem but did i hell. I will try that idea tomorrow

Thanks mate i appreciate the advice :icon_salut:

Dont bother repacking the struts with new grease it doesnt work, you will pend two hours doing it only for the problem to return a week later. It will also fail an MOT if the wear can be felt so that being the case the car is not fit for purpose and the struts should be changed under the warranty you have.

Dont bother repacking the struts with new grease it doesnt work, you will pend two hours doing it only for the problem to return a week later. It will also fail an MOT if the wear can be felt so that being the case the car is not fit for purpose and the struts should be changed under the warranty you have.

I don't have this problem (yet) so cannot vouch whether it works or not. I don't think dougieboy would have much to lose by trying the first option of just spraying with WD40 lithium grease though and like I said would only be a temporary measure until he can get funds to get them replaced. Might just stop that annoying knock though.

I know some guys have done this and run them for 6 months or more without the knock returning.

I have done this re-greasing malarky twice, the first time with a high quality grease recommended for the job on a set of rear struts on a 55 plate blobeye. Lasted a week and had to change the struts replaced them with KYB's. These lasted 2 years, thought ah well might as well try it again, but this time used heavy duty aircraft strut grease lasted 15 days and then repalced all 4 struts with KYB Ultra's havnt had a problem since - touch wood. It is worth checking there is no play in the top mounts but in my opinion you are wasting your time repacking them.