Rebuild Or Not ?

Nudge

I got recovered back from the M3 last monday, with head gaskets gone. Now in the shed i have my old engine under wraps, its a wrx lump so may not be a closed deck, i have an engineering background and a full cnc engineering workshop at my fingertips, along with billets of aircraft spec alloy, i am pondering with the idea of a rebuild, my idea is to strip the block, rebore and hone cylinders, get the crank crossdrilled and reground, lighten flywheel, then send away for balancing, fit new pistons, rods, main and end shells, rcm oil pump, do i polish and port the wrx heads, recut valves, replace springs and cams as finding v4 ones can be hard and expensive, remake pulleys out of alloy, clean and paint up everything else, then 550 injectors, turbo, sling it in then remap... i will have a budget of 2500/3000, is it feasable../..possible, plus i will have the satisfaction of knowing i done it.

i would appreciate any ideas comments, or links to rebore limits, bore sizes skim limits on heads, head gasket sizes etc.

its off the road for a while anyway......

Edited by Nudge

i had mine go last month it cost me £1300 i all in but that was some 1 else doing the work labor being £660 so you could do your mods in that budget aslong as you are going to do the work. you will need to skim the heads hopefully no1s done it b4! defo reseat the valves as the last thing you want is to put it back together and find its loosing compression (get it compression tested) new timming belt oils filters, plugs. save yourself some money the 2.5block out of the newer sti's are semi forged??? just an idea as the block will bolt strait on save you time and money. and thinking power also think gearbox! and clutch

I got recovered back from the M3 last monday, with head gaskets gone. Now in the shed i have my old engine under wraps, its a wrx lump so may not be a closed deck, i have an engineering background and a full cnc engineering workshop at my fingertips, along with billets of aircraft spec alloy, i am pondering with the idea of a rebuild, my idea is to strip the block, rebore and hone cylinders, get the crank crossdrilled and reground, lighten flywheel, then send away for balancing, fit new pistons, rods, main and end shells, rcm oil pump, do i polish and port the wrx heads, recut valves, replace springs and cams as finding v4 ones can be hard and expensive, remake pulleys out of alloy, clean and paint up everything else, then 550 injectors, turbo, sling it in then remap... i will have a budget of 2500/3000, is it feasable../..possible, plus i will have the satisfaction of knowing i done it.

i would appreciate any ideas comments, or links to rebore limits, bore sizes skim limits on heads, head gasket sizes etc.

its off the road for a while anyway......

Have a read of this thread, should give you some idea of whats involved

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/projects-40/67974...ne-rebuild.html