Hi there

Hi there, new to the club so though I would introduce myself. Im Stuart, currently living in South Wales. Picked up my first ever Subaru Impreza STI yesterday. Sadly I can't drive it at the moment as the gearbox seems to be stuck on gear and she has had a little bump at the back of her. On the plus side she has been well looked after and currently has arround 330bhp so I've been told. Will be going on a Dyno once fixed though. New to the Subaru's so I will probably be asking a load of questions. Thanks guys. 

Screenshot_20181012-195211_Messenger.jpg

FB_IMG_1539370480500.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum and the Subaru community. Ask as many questions as you need our members will do their best to help out. Don’t forget to try the search facility as we have over 1 million posts and we have seen most things over the last 20 years. 

I hope the repairs go well and you’re r back on the road soon.

Thanks guys, it needs a new boot lid rear light and bumper. The rear panel needs pulled out slightly. I've got a load of receipts with it and it says that the engine was changed for a STI 8 short motor engine. Could someone explain the difference between this engine and the original engine for me please. Also I've noticed that there are quite a few gearbox options for the Impreza. Will all the gearboxes fit that particular engine or not? This is all new to me as I've been mostly a Ford man all my days. Any help would be much appreciated. 

• Upvote 1

Welcome :thumbs:

There are more varitions of Classic imprezas than i can count. in 7 years 200+ including all 500+ It should be easy to sorce spares, your model code will id its type.and year. Although  wont know its modification history.

eg. if a STi GC8C47D or GC8D47D or GC8D4DD and if WRX it maybe GC8C48D or GC8D48D  

some differences to see potential pitfalls, especial after crashing through hellfrauds a few time. :ap:

UK, JDM, EU, STi, WRX,  

Singe & twin scrool turbo,

Engines closed, semi & open deck enginpotential ferent ECU,s and injectors

Gearbox Diff, DCCD & No ABS, Normal & ABS, Normal. Automatic and semi Auto.

Classic 5 speed GBox, JDM long and short Ratio 5th. (non like over 330Bhp) 6sd does 500+bhp but big converion.

Both Gbox and rear Diff have to match. two sizes of rear diffs.

clutch two sizes 230mm & 240mm, and push or a pull type , twin disk, dual mass flywheel,

LSD,  front, Both, mechical, plated, electrical

So in very basic terms to answer Q,s

main difference between blocks is the old crank was prone to failure. the newage is very much stronger and better oil ways and journals.

Gearbox Options yes will fit !!! BUT may not work clutch or be right Ratio Diff etc etc.

Much easier NO!!!!!

Just get same as the already fitted. Codes are something like TY752VB3AE  etc etc too many variables.

Tony

Edited by t5nyw

Thank you very much mate. I had a look on the tag on the suspension strut and got the gearbox code. I will get the old box off just incase that has been changed at some point in its life. I had a quick look on eBay for a gearbox with the code on the tag and only one came up for £700. Would that price be reasonable or not. Engine wise I have receipts for the STI 8 engine and what was done at that point, but nothing else. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain to me mate. 

• Upvote 1
On 14/10/2018 at 20:02, Stuartym88 said:

Thank you very much mate. I had a look on the tag on the suspension strut and got the gearbox code. I will get the old box off just incase that has been changed at some point in its life. I had a quick look on eBay for a gearbox with the code on the tag and only one came up for £700. Would that price be reasonable or not. Engine wise I have receipts for the STI 8 engine and what was done at that point, but nothing else. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain to me mate. 

no problem,  

engine starts ok with clutch down?

which gear is it stuck in? 

have you tried removing gear stick?

1 hour ago, t5nyw said:

no problem,  

engine starts ok with clutch down?

which gear is it stuck in? 

have you tried removing gear stick?

Its starts fine with the clutch down, I'm sure it's stuck in first, when I release the clutch it makes the sort of noise like it's not properly in gear, it was the same when I got towed back with the clutch pressed, moment I stopped the car the noise went away. 

I haven't removed the gearstick yet, I can't move the gearstick at all. It's just solid if you know what I mean. 

I'm not sure which route to go down to be honest, do I try and find another STI 5 speed box or go down the 6speed route.  

Thanks

22 hours ago, Stuartym88 said:

Its starts fine with the clutch down, I'm sure it's stuck in first, when I release the clutch it makes the sort of noise like it's not properly in gear, it was the same when I got towed back with the clutch pressed, moment I stopped the car the noise went away. 

I haven't removed the gearstick yet, I can't move the gearstick at all. It's just solid if you know what I mean. 

I'm not sure which route to go down to be honest, do I try and find another STI 5 speed box or go down the 6speed route.  

Thanks

A couple of simple checks.

you could have a broken gear lever jammed in gate. its very simply removed youtube it 

remove gbox sump plug see if gear teeth fall out?

do you know any history? 

so car had been going good till gearbox seized? or bought it with naff gearbox? 

very common gbox killers

300+ bhp to completely cream 1st or 2nd gears.

wrong ratio diffs winds up diff or gearbox .

different wheels front and back. again wrong ratio

doughnuts on tarmac

Give Don on here your model no. GC8xxxxxxx (every car made same type and year is same so not secret) and gearbox number he can check if correct one was fitted.

I,m no expert but by far cheapest option is 2nd hand 5sp box.(was old one right) £1000 with new clutch.

6sd rough guess is£4k+ for it fitted

6spd you may need some or most of below, possibly gearbox rear mount moved?

Non DCCD version gbox £1.5k+ .

6spd clutch and flywheel not needed

diff to match gearbox£400+

or R180 rear axle if yours is a R160 rear diff.£800+

shorter prop shaft? 

fitting?

tony

if you type in google " scoobynet transmission faq" there are more technical pionters than i can provide.

Edited by t5nyw
2 hours ago, t5nyw said:

A couple of simple checks.

you could have a broken gear lever jammed in gate. its very simply removed youtube it 

remove gbox sump plug see if gear teeth fall out?

do you know any history? 

so car had been going good till gearbox seized? or bought it with naff gearbox? 

very common gbox killers

300+ bhp to completely cream 1st or 2nd gears.

wrong ratio diffs winds up diff or gearbox .

different wheels front and back. again wrong ratio

doughnuts on tarmac

Give Don on here your model no. GC8xxxxxxx (every car made same type and year is same so not secret) and gearbox number he can check if correct one was fitted.

I,m no expert but by far cheapest option is 2nd hand 5sp box.(was old one right) £1000 with new clutch.

6sd rough guess is£4k+ for it fitted

6spd you may need some or most of below, possibly gearbox rear mount moved?

Non DCCD version gbox £1.5k+ .

6spd clutch and flywheel not needed

diff to match gearbox£400+

or R180 rear axle if yours is a R160 rear diff.£800+

shorter prop shaft? 

fitting?

tony

if you type in google " scoobynet transmission faq" there are more technical pionters than i can provide.

Hi Tony, thanks for that. 

I bought the car the way it stands now, however I spoke with the previous owner today again and asked if there was any signs of something wrong. He said that when he was letting the clutch out it would judder.

I spoke with the guys at scoobyclinic today and they think that the clutch release bearing and the friction plate could be at fault. 

I'm hoping thats the problem. Fingers crossed. I'm going to take off the gearbox at the weekend and have a look.

I had a look at the model number and it's Gc8c48d and the transmission type is Ty752vb4aa. I'm not sure if the gearbox has been changed before or not though. Will check the code on the box at the weekend.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain things to me again, much appreciated

Stuart

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Stuartym88 said:

Hi Tony, thanks for that. 

I bought the car the way it stands now, however I spoke with the previous owner today again and asked if there was any signs of something wrong. He said that when he was letting the clutch out it would judder.

I spoke with the guys at scoobyclinic today and they think that the clutch release bearing and the friction plate could be at fault. 

I'm hoping thats the problem. Fingers crossed. I'm going to take off the gearbox at the weekend and have a look.

I had a look at the model number and it's Gc8c48d and the transmission type is Ty752vb4aa. I'm not sure if the gearbox has been changed before or not though. Will check the code on the box at the weekend.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain things to me again, much appreciated

Stuart

no problem, i knew diddly shit when had first scoob, with forum help i now a little more but certainly no expert.

could be bearing n clutch and if so reatively cheap fix.

Although clutch disengages to start engine! does it feel like a normal pedal ! When clutch fails normally loss of drive it perminant drives whist in neutral, and only drives when in an actual gear.

if gearstick doesnt move around like normal, remove it might jumped selectoe.

if ok drain oil check for metal bits or gears.

but very hard for even experts, to diagnose over keyboard and without seeing n touching.

Smart money still on gbox hope i,m wrong.

tony

Edited by t5nyw