Howdie back in a scooby.

Hello,

Back in an impreza after a good few years in the wildnerness with other japanesse marques, had a dabble with an evo and then went nuts with an x2 rx7 fd's and kit cars.

Had my 52 bugeye wagon wrx as a daily for about a year now and was a hand me down from a mate who ugraded to his dream P1...done a few mechanical jobs to keep it sweet Cambelt rad and service and a welded up the rotten front subframe...

I purely use the car as work hack and been a dependable tool for past year....mods a decat uppipe after market 18's on uniroyal rainsport 3..awesome in the wet!!! and thats it pretty bog standard.....been thinking about maybe a power hike as got my last impreza upto 290bhp and then thought here we go again just buy summit already done lol.

currently have a Rx7 fd with about 360 bhp and blown up westfield with poorly rx8 lump init....i like my trackdays especially combe and use the westy or fd if there not broke else im in an ol beat up black Colt gti that refuses to die....

well im gonna have a look about and see if the temptation of a track impreza takes my fancy for 2017 as rotary reliability is beggining to grind on me a bit.

just realised i have no photos of the ol wagon....will have to give her a bath and post 1 up....shes nothing special compared to the awesome cars on here but shes mine! 

• Upvote 1

shes abit beat up but only on 82k but everything works and still goes ok. thers dinks and paint chips in few places but the worst bit is lacquer peel on bonnet, suspect will end up in bodyshop for a bit of tlc as my mate gave me a good price. 

its pretty original still got the twin peashooters sticking out the back lol. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u397/boosted38/20170130_165633_zpsuj3jezlk.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u397/boosted38/20170112_114303_zpsiytzoshm.jpg

well been doing alot of soul searching lately and putting a 3rd engine in in 3 yrs!!! my rx8 powered race westy and thinking about a change ....if i sold both fd and westy i could have a pretty decent wedge for a scooby...either a classic special ed or a bugeye v7 jdm sti or s202....

had my fill with rotarys me thinks. back to flat 4.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well i had some fun and games lately....

Got a recall letter...For the Lower wishbones rust and booked in at local Dealer. 

Well moving off drive away at 10 mph the offside collasped and i kept to a halt....scary stuff ...theyve rotted out from inside. 

so spoke to Subaru and no problems get car to us well sort so assist Recovery with my skates and get car to them...

Then the phonecall....your car is very rusty it really needs to be in the scrapyard and we are concerned we will damage the hubs removing the arms and ball joints...we need confirmation to proceed as there may be additional costs involved.....

£1000.00 per side for new hubs and wheel bearings fitted at £82.00 per hour.

Hell no...give me the arms and ill do myself...blowtorch and pentrating spray should tickle them out.....im sorry your used to new cars but it passed last years mot with a 50mm patch of welding  i put onhorseshow and itll pass this year too maybe with a tad more....tell mechs to man up...I got 3 cars here all 25 years old and ive rebuilt suspension on them no issues...

so many phonecalls and headoffice filling out some form online for intervention...i get a phonecall from Dealer all done!...

Hoorah, well sort off not really...more whack whack boom....

Tracking is out bigtime....pulls to left and steering wheel off centre my number 1 car pet hate...

so i get that done locally...

then few weeks time mot.....Fail...dreaded horseshoe....more welding required massive patch on O/s now ....and a puncture wound in the outer CV gaiter....i wonder how that happened!....

anyways confused by tester that a fail is fail...you cant use it despite 9 days left of old mot? So its unsafe to drive? No its failed to meet standard...you can drive home though....Is this a safety standard ? yes....so whats the difference between driving home and driving to work tomorrow....is 1 more safe than the other!!!.

stupid rules... So Subaru....ive owned my Wagon for 2.5 years....The Vosa enforced recall happened was released in 2012...why has it taken 2.5 years to notify me ?

Ive done 60mph down country lanes in this thing if it had collasped doing that high potential id be dead now....

So chalked it up to experience and reminded why i dont ever use dealers and try and do all my car maintenanace myself...( engineer for 25yrs).

But keep getting these customer service emails...well 7th one i let them have it.....still not got a reply why its taken 2.5 years to inform me my car could flip over and kill me...20170908_191130_zps5k6sks91.jpg20170909_181257_zpsvtg95b2l.jpg

20171013_131044_zpsztlr5tip.jpgapart from the Horshoe my car underneath is very nice....ive since cavity waxed it on the inside now...and beaten it with hammer for anything tester missed so i dont have to crawl underneath it next year to weld fingers crossed....

My standard exhaust is not fairing too well either so on the hunt for a replacement...needs to be standardish...nice n quiet...if you have a good condition standard exhaust in your shed and wanna part with it let me know....

If You have a wagon....with mild steel arms....id change em Now...mine rotted out from inside look good on outside...would i get Subaru Main dealers to do it....Nope! 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Mate stay with it I feel your pain but I love what you are doing as it gives me the right hump that every man and his dog are braking perfectly good Subaru’s to sell on eBay.

i no that they keep people like us on the road but if you love a car like us  there is definitely or should be a line that if fixable or not 

I love it that you are going the extra mile to keep a good car on the road  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

im after a bit of help, im wearing the front outer edge of the tyres.....and this is after the Subaru front arm recall...

Complete nightmare from start to finish the dealer whined about corrosion and wanted me to authorise payment for new bearing and hubs when changing arms....nope....

When i got car back discovered tracking well out and steering wheel off centre and cv gaiter stabbed...

But after getting alignment done ive noticed wear on outer shoulder so looking at wheels there no negative camber at all...so i thought id add some camber at the adjuster bolt and re track but found already on max...

Have they fitted the wrong arms....i rang another dealers and they were supposed to ring back...never did...

Am i right in thinking there are 2 arms regular and wide.....

the kit fitted to mine is ARM KIT REGULAR FE000RH-010LH 

im thinking being a wrx it should have wide arms and this would sort the camber...ive googled n googled and no that the saloon should be wide but not sure on the wagon wrx....anybody help atall!!! If i can prove there wrong they can sort out and replace my tyres...as pre failure no tyre wear issues atall.

Edited by boosted38
grammar

yes mate 4 wheel alignment was done just after. they said at time they cant get anymore negative camber...i thought maybe they couldnt be bothered so i took wheels off to check and its wound round to max, going the other way puts it into positive almost instantly...somethings wrong....Dealer didnt track it steering pulled to left badly and steering wheel not centered...wish theyd never touched it. 

Ive since had another look and pushed the hub back into strut whilst nipping up and got a tiny bit off negative as best i could get was neutral which has caused the tyre wear.

now ive since read that a 2002 wrx wagon is narrow track and a saloon is wide but...is this different control arms or subframe ive no idea...if i got sti alloy arms is this gonna give me an arch problem...

Nice 1 thanks...the car has saloon front struts onit..fitted by me about 2years ago...no wear on old tyres....but explains the camber issue...mmmm what todo...i do have old struts with broken springs...think ill swap struts and springs...or the eibach camber bolts on these struts...googling session on them.

Big thankyou

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

got lucky, found a cat and sti back box reasonably local unused, been in a shed for 15 years...and got a sti resonated centre pipe again removed for PPP  all in virtually new condition...had a abit of fun as cat pipe 3 " longer that should have been so cut and welded, all new gaskets and dome gasket car is leak free and standard sounding...stealth mode restored...tomoz im gonna dig original front struts outta shed and compare to 1s fitted.

• 2 years later...

just popping in now on 92k!! still a daily . bit the bullet and fitted a jdm sourced horseshoe freshly powder coated and got some wagon front struts and x2 new tyres and all is well in the bugeye world. Shes still not pretty more paint has fallen off front bumper now showing silver underneath lol...But recently went straight through mot no issues. so happy camper.  

makes me laugh all these journos going mad about the yaris gr4...my £1500 scooby been putting a smile on my face for 5 years lol.

• Like 1