BUILDERS OR SOMEONE IN BUILDING TRADE

ok folks looking for a bit of advice or help,

me and the gf got our own place about a year and a bit ago , its a new build by taylor wimpey and its had several issues mostly regarding the plumbing and flooding , so far to date weve had 3 floods one in the kitchen and two in the bathroom de to poor plumbers , the first flood ruined the laminate in the living room but because we had no proof it was due to the flood causing the water under the laminate to make it warp , they fobbed us of with it being condensation,

2nd flood in bathroom didnt cause much problems or damage and any that was got fixed and replaced,

NOW to the main problem here the 3rd flood in the bathroom was due to the silicone seal round the bath not being done properly which whenever the shower was used the water ran down the back of the bath, unknown to us we didnt know how long that had been goin on until we noticed the laminate in the hall warping and lifting up , this time got it on video as i lifted up the flooring in the bathroom and found the skirting under the bath rotten and mouldy the side of bath panel inside startin to get mould, under the vynil in bathroom all water and the water ran under the laminate in the hall which was causing the warping ,

ive got a meeting tomorow with the site manger (guy wo fobbed us of first time ) and assistant site manager to talk about the "moisture" as they put it , which means i think their goin to try and get out of replacing the laminate in the hall, is there anyone like a building company watchdog or something i can complain to or go to if they try fobbing me off again? seein how i have the video of all the water this time. taylor wimpeys head office wasnt exactly helpful last time when i compained to them,

You should have an NHBC guarantee for 10 years, although its probably not worth the paper its written on!

Get yourself an independent building surveyor and ask him to do a report if they dont cough up tomorrow. Also make sure you have someone with you and ask if you can record / film the conversation.

Brand new house.

3 days before Christmas.

Faulty plumbing, a fitting installed backwards.

Mains water pressure running full bore for 4 hours above a ceiling.

Everything destroyed as it was all still boxed in garage.

Kids Christmas presents destroyed.

Brand new leather couch destroyed.

Excitement & our dreams destroyed.

Site manager said'' it would dry out'' wishing now that i just kicked his cnut in instead of throwing him outa the house :mad:

Must be getting soft in my old age........... but that's gonna be changing this year for sure...

Taylor Wimpey :icon_fU:

Brand new house.

3 days before Christmas.

Faulty plumbing, a fitting installed backwards.

Mains water pressure running full bore for 4 hours above a ceiling.

Everything destroyed as it was all still boxed in garage.

Kids Christmas presents destroyed.

Brand new leather couch destroyed.

Excitement & our dreams destroyed.

Site manager said'' it would dry out'' wishing now that i just kicked his cnut in instead of throwing him outa the house :mad:

Must be getting soft in my old age........... but that's gonna be changing this year for sure...

Taylor Wimpey :icon_fU:

Probably a P###sh plumber!

Can't see how they should be able to fob you off, If you've got a leak or poor workmanship which is causing damage they should repair it. Take off the bath panel and put the shower on and show them the water passing the seal.

Bear in mind if your floor under the laminate is chipboard, it may well be damaged too as could the insulation under that.

Condensation causing damage to lam floor in a new build is a load of p*sh. Maybe get that sort of damage in an old damp property over a long period.

Kev

our is concrete floor under laminate , they resealed the silicone goin round the bath , but just put the new silicone ontop of the old stuff, which part of it already lifted up,

mate whos been a plumber for 10 years said even due to shrinkage if done properly the seal shouldnt have came away from the bath and wall ,

the plumbers they used when they built this they said the fired them because of all the issues and got a new load in , wont say about boiler being plumbed in wrong , a toilet that boiled the water when you flushed it, towel raidiators on up side down, taps on wrong, valves left open and not closed of, shower plumbed in wrong aswel,

Unfortunely the sign of the times builders cutting corners to make more profit. Developers are really bad for not fixing problems and NHBC or Zurich that give the guarantee really are useless at the small defects.

Compile a list of all your defects so you can hand one to the Site Manager, send it to head office with a letter of complain, talk to neighbours if you have problems so do they probably and you can all make a joint effort to get things fixed.

If your still not getting anywhere talk to the Citizen Advice they get a lot of these nowadays so they will have other possible angles to get things resolved.

Give me a shout if there's anything you want to ask, I work for a decent building companies that attend to their defects as a surveyor.

Robert

Firstly as Robert says, ensure you give everything to the builder in writing, keep copies for yourself and send copies to head office, recorded delivery.

In the first 24 mnths of your new house you must report all defects to the builder, if you do not get your issues resolved(at any time during this period) you then must submit a complaint to the NHBC claims resolution centre, they will ask you for your NHBC Insurance Certificate.

Check your paperwork, you should have this certificate, if not contact your lawyer and ask him where it is.

They will then appiont the appropriate person to take up your claim and meet with all parties involved.

After the first 24 mnths the NHBC only cover structural defects.

Regards

Paul

Unfortunately the sign of the times builders cutting corners to make more profit.

I wouldn't say it is a sign of the times. Housebuilders were bodging things long before the current economic situation.

I bought a new build in October 09, having said I would never buy a new build, never mid one off plan. Different situation as it wasn't one of the volume housebuilders and I have the director's mobile number! He was round last week after we told him in no uncertain terms what we thought of his company’s attitude towards snagging. The worst we had was an incorrectly fitted mains gas supply! Also took 10 months to get a bog that flushed properly in the main bathroom. The site foreman actually stood in the bathroom and, with a straight face, came out with "that there Mr McColl is a designer toilet, that is why it doesn't flush properly".

Every new house will have snagging, but there is a fine line between general snagging and a bodged job.

I can only reiterate the advice given. Ensure everything goes to the builder in writing. I use Email with read receipts rather than post. Take minutes for any meetings you have one site. Then send them to the builder with the express requirement that if they disagree with anything they contact you. Also take photographs of all issues where possible.

Within the first 24 months, you can go to NHBC or equivalent and they will adjudicate. They will probably require that all lines of communication with the builder have been lost. Alternatively, speak to your lawyer.

Building Standards will only ensure that the requirements of the Buildings Regs are met when signing off a completion certificate. They won't check the actual quality of the finishing and fittings.

They guy I get to do my general servicing works bought a new build from Wimpey in Port Glasgow about 3 years ago. He has had a lot of problems with them. The latest being that after less than 3 years the boiler has cried enough and packed in completely. New boiler required.

Just got to stick at them and hope you get it sorted.

HERES WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS CLUB !!!!!!!

people help and offer advice and not just about cars , THANKS ALOT GUYS VERY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!

just no long finished the meeting with site manager and asst man ,mentioned some of the above. C,A,B and NHBC.

geting new flooring in the bathroom, bathroom door geting replaced, outside of the windows theyve noticed some small crack where moisture can get in and are gona fix that , basicly all issues resolved other than the laminate which i paid for and fitted myself, he can see its warped and hasnt settled is still raised , says he will speak to his bosses as its aove his pay grade if their gona pay for new flooring or relay it themselves.

once again folks THANKS ALOT FOR THE TIPS AND ADVICE !

HERES WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS CLUB !!!!!!!

So its well worth paying the £20 membership fee then ;):rolleyes::getmecoat:

Had similar problems with my new house since November 2009. P.I.T.F.A and they only just got to the bottom of the problem last week and "fixed" it this week.

Builders adamant it was the roof and after 11 "visits" and months of scaffolding, it turned out to be the :censored: window frame :icon_hang: a bunch of :censored: useless :censored:

Glad they are on the case for you now. :occasion14: