Thank You Google Maps

He's not giving up his post code :P unlike you Del following the google van lol

No Cathy if i indeed knew it was the google car i would have been spotted over half of Lanarkshire following it lol

Someone PM me that big baldy guys postcode before google beats me to it ha ha

Dunno why people are bothering - no privacy issues as it was on public roads. So people think some nasty crooks are gonna look on Google maps to plan where to nick a car from? Why don't they just jump in their car and go for a drive round the area looking for cars to steal rather than looking on the web at a map that is showing a pic of your drive/parking area from 9 months ago? (maybe less but not much!)

Dunno why people are bothering - no privacy issues as it was on public roads. So people think some nasty crooks are gonna look on Google maps to plan where to nick a car from? Why don't they just jump in their car and go for a drive round the area looking for cars to steal rather than looking on the web at a map that is showing a pic of your drive/parking area from 9 months ago? (maybe less but not much!)

Got to agree, not as if Google Maps are so advanced you can type "find me a Subaru in Lanarkshire" and boom it's my driveway.

Yet :P

I agree too - the maps are, in some cases, nearly a year old so not the most reliable way of trying to find a car to steal.

Are you going to cover the car up when you take it anywhere, cover it up outside your house/work etc?

I agree too - the maps are, in some cases, nearly a year old so not the most reliable way of trying to find a car to steal.

Are you going to cover the car up when you take it anywhere, cover it up outside your house/work etc?

My Impreza is sitting on the drive as clear as day on Google Streetview. Was taken in March last year. However, I don't live there anymore! :P

why are people worried about neds and google maps.

when any of you get a new car you take pictures of it in your drive and post it up on here.

:lol:

That is true, but when you take a pic of your new pride and joy you tend not to have the full address/location details showing on it?

I think the main concern with google earth is that its not just a picture, its a picture with a car on it with directions on how to get to it ;)

But like has been said already most of the pics are a year + old and its probably not the best way of targeting your next joyride.

Cheers Iain

Yeah, and a Scooby thats worth a few grand, when there all manner of exotic cars actually parked on the street as you walk pass. Whatever did car thieves do back in the day before they had out-of-date satellite images?

John is so totally right here, its the same reason that I never blank plates... if you were that worried, it would NEVER get out of the garage... You would never drive around town. Seriously, a burglar is not going to drive 100miles on the strength of an 18month old image of a car that might be there, or might just be a visiting friend... or they might have moved... etc...

the ones that you have to worry about are the ones that know the area and know the places to look. they are not going to waste their time on google maps, they are going to walk round to the area that they think they are not going to get caught in, and then scope your house out...

they are probably the ones that have stood watching you driving around town a dozen times last night...

Neil,

I can understand your concern. If I was a high profile character such as you, I would be seriously concerned about all my stalkers and interested members of the public planning the invasion of my privacy and stealing such a valuable car.

Im quite sure you are correct to assume that they will also go to the lengths of using satellite imagery and trawl the internet for pictures of a car worthy of stealing only to select from a cast of thousands, your brief.

May I suggest a few security measures you could take in the meantime to bridge the gap until Google remove the picture, obviously avoiding a very costly and public law suit.

1. Don't park there anymore.

2. Employ a Private Security Firm to provide 24hr round the clock protection of the afore mentioned Brief.

3. Employ a Private Security Firm to provide you with Personal Bodyguards so your security is not compromised.

4. Change your name.

5. Wash your hands.

6. Get a life.

7. Smoke your own rod.