Thank You Mr Plod

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly how does the ANPR work ,why would it not read my number plate???? :lol:

Kenny

Wasnt aimed you kenny but its a camera linked to a computer that reads number plates and allows the boys in blue to know if the cars are all taxed and insured or stolen and wanted. If the camera cant read the plate then they wont know.

Wasnt aimed you kenny but its a camera linked to a computer that reads number plates and allows the boys in blue to know if the cars are all taxed and insured or stolen and wanted. If the camera cant read the plate then they wont know.

No worries mate :lol: Would really like to know how it works as in reading the plate ,all my lettering was fine and easily identifiable as agreed by the officer who stopped me.The only thing that was wrong with it was a spacing,does it not just recognise the characters????

Kenny

No worries mate :lol: Would really like to know how it works as in reading the plate ,all my lettering was fine and easily identifiable as agreed by the officer who stopped me.The only thing that was wrong with it was a spacing,does it not just recognise the characters????

Kenny

Like i said my comment wasnt aimed at you. You would more than likely be fine, its the ones that you can hardly read or that have handy black coloured screw heads to make a letter on number look like an other.

Not 100% on how it works but a quick google throws up loads of reading :lol:

Edited by paul555sti

Kenny, no idea what your plate is...

But if there's odd spacing on it then an automated ANPR system may not be able to read it properly..

I.e.

A123 ABC is fine

A1 ABC is fine

A 1ABC is NOT fine.

You coudl argue that the ANPR is a pish system that cant accomodate for the odd spacing.. Bit it's not so much the ANPR this layout and spacing has been law for a lot longer than the ANPR systems have been around.. the ANPR systems just help enforce the law..

TBH - I'm all for properly spaced/sized number plates that the police can easily pick up on! My car is detected everywhere it needs to.. I'm not that fussed about the big brother effect (although nearly got caught out at hte last SIDC meet where we discovered the B&Q in elgin have ANPR recognition and fine peopel who sit in the carpark more than 2hrs :lol: )

My Plates are legal.. Even after trimming the width of the one of the front, it is still legal Sure I could space out the letters and numbers differently to make it read a bit better but it's not worth the hassle.. even with the standard spacing it doesn't take much effort for someone to know what it reads.. Especially SIDC'ers.. :lol:

I do agree that if your picked up for simply not having the BS AU mark or the postcode of manufactuer on it would be takign the piddle!! If it's plain reflective white on the front and plain reflective yellow on the back with the standard font and of a sensible size and layout then I don't see a problem. What annoys me is hearing stories of people getting pulled for slight mis-alignments when there are tons of cars goign aroudnw ith clearly dodgy plates with fonts virtually illegible to humans and deliberately cluttered backings designed to confuse cameras! Yet they never seem to get lifted for it. If you KNOW the plate is illegal then as mentioned previously you must be willing to pay the price for having it.

Legal regulations for UK plates:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Perso...lates/DG_181503

http://www.theplatemarket.com/display_of_r...ion_numbers.php

... Perhaps this thread should be renamed the "SIDC rant-a-thon" B)

I do agree that if your picked up for simply not having the BS AU mark or the postcode of manufactuer on it would be takign the piddle!! If it's plain reflective white on the front and plain reflective yellow on the back with the standard font and of a sensible size and layout then I don't see a problem.

I think the main reasons that makers mark and postcode were mandatory was part of the attempt to avoid cloned plates being knocked up cheapskate. In theory, all plates now need to be made up at licensed sites and need sight of your log book. nice idea, but not really that effective at stopping the serious bad guys?

It amazes me that so many cars are still running around on "illegal" fonts / layouts - if the powers that be really don't like them, how tough is it to sort them all out in weeks? I suspect the answer might be that they only care when it comes in handy to hit some targets :lol:

Like the idea of paying in pennies, but I believe there is some limit on how much coin is adjudged to be legal tender in any transaction. Knowing your luck, they'd take ages counting and recounting to delay you until your parking ticket expired and they could get in a bit of revenge :lol:

I think the main reasons that makers mark and postcode were mandatory was part of the attempt to avoid cloned plates being knocked up cheapskate. In theory, all plates now need to be made up at licensed sites and need sight of your log book. nice idea, but not really that effective at stopping the serious bad guys?

It amazes me that so many cars are still running around on "illegal" fonts / layouts - if the powers that be really don't like them, how tough is it to sort them all out in weeks? I suspect the answer might be that they only care when it comes in handy to hit some targets B)

Like the idea of paying in pennies, but I believe there is some limit on how much coin is adjudged to be legal tender in any transaction. Knowing your luck, they'd take ages counting and recounting to delay you until your parking ticket expired and they could get in a bit of revenge :lol:

I would cover all bases and take some notes too B) Also i get 28 days to pay it surely it would not take that long to count out £60 in small denominations,pre bagged of course :lol:

I could just be down on my luck and it's all i have saved up.

Kenny

Edited by kennyuk300

Yep.. As you suspect, it's not that protective really. I have a genuine supplier of number plate materials in order to make up number plates.. All 100% legal and no need to show ID to buy the materials which hold the BS AU kite mark.. I can make up legal and illegal number plates (please don't PM me asking for any cause I ain't going down that route and they area PITA to make as I don't have a proper press.). The postcode is a good idea for tracking down places which are selling dodgy plates who stupidly put their postcode and company name on illegal plates.. Unless they mark them as not for road use.. In which case it's up the the owner..

Police forces in the UK are getting run like a business and don't let anyone tell you any different. Even 2 coppers I know agreed with me. The motorist are the easiest targets out there fines are the norm and common sense is out the window. The van driver blowing his nose is a prime example.