Club Activities Suggestions Thread.

Hi guys

The idea behind this thread is to get any ideas you have for events or club activities down so we can try and work them into the comming months.

Here are a couple to get you started.

1. Karting

2. Bowling

3. Rolling Road

4. Drive out

5. Photoshoot

etc

Cheers Iain

Edited by Big 'D'

problem is not just the cost, it's how miniscule your time behind the wheel can be - 3 hours shared over 12 punters with some of that time given over to briefings and certificate "awards"

Years ago, soon after Chrissy passed her test, I booked a half day on the skid pan at Goodwood - basically paid for a corporate session with just the 2 of us - had loads of time at the wheel and got a lot out of it. Prices have gone up & he now seems to run most along those lines. http://www.skidcontrol.co.uk/courses.htm

Looking at his 12 person course he gives 3 hours, 2 cars, 2 instrutors and it comes in at less that 50 quid each. Interesting to note that he suggests running these with less than the maximum to get more time each.

Sadly, most skid pan "courses" are now more like a corporate fun day than a sound education.

The other problem for us 4wd scooby folk is that the cars used on these courses are 2wd and handle very differently. I seem to recall a thread last year where somebody was trying to get a session going where you took your own car onto glazed track with kick-plates and various other high quality handling tests - cost more but gave loads more.

I've a few ideas that I think could work well and make for a nice, varied morning/afternoon/day out BUT... I'm going to have to keep it under wraps for now as telling you all will spill the beans on something bigger and possibly more exciting that I'm working on. Suffice to say that all will be relieved before too long! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Been thinking on this one

1) More Charity Events like we're doing Beer for the boys & Airshow, we can get some free publicity for the club/SIDC in general, show that not all scoobs are in the hands of Chav's & get us mentioned in the press as well as rasing a bit of cash for a good cause.

2) Another Photo Shoot, last one was a great turnout although I couldn't make it

3) Bar-Be-Que type event at country park etc..., I know Lepe Park Nr Calshot (Hants) have a big Barbie area you can hire for an event, must be somthing in Oxon along the same lines

Andy

All the ideas put up look a lot of fun, I was going to mention some sort of track day event. I've never been round a 'proper' track and I'm sure the M25 doesn't count, and to be able to go round with the aid of more advanced/experienced drivers at the helm pointing out decent lines, braking points etc would be a lot of fun. I have been for a spin in a 911 at Rockingham laat year for my birthday but as good as it was 5 laps just wasn't long enough.

Having looked at prices for Castle Combe at around £170 its a lot of money so don't know if its a worth while venture.

problem with paying for a place on a public track day is that you have no control over the other folks paying for a day out. You might find a few hardcore track pros, but also some idiot chavs as well.

dig through some of the track day threads on here - TrackMasters do a great job and hire the circuit for exclusive use means they can control who shows up and are much less risk to your car.

If you don't want to go right into track day, then how about seeing if Mark & Co can sort a track training day somewhere close to Oxon? you'll get the coaching on techniques, but also acres of tarmac to allow you to push beyond the limits without armco to mash up your pride and joy.

cost of a track day can come to a lot more than the entry fee - insurance 50-100 with big excesses / severe brake wear (pads & discs) / tyres (or you get spare wheels and keep your oldies for track thrash) / fuel - very thirsty and need to keep the tank high to avoid starvation problems / extra oil change .....

I've always fancied their Goodwood event each autumn - could be an opportunity for combining skid pan and track day punters on the same day together?

• 3 months later...
Guest sti3_lewak

I think the skidpan is a very good idea. Most people will not have had chance to open there cars up to the full potentional. Plus it being a club activit and to do with road safety would be benifital for all.

A good price would be a start though. If it helps i'm a trained Skidpan instructor :)

Just don't have the kit :D

Cheers Dave

Edited by sti3_lewak
  • 2 months later...